Does "Spirituality" Have Physicality? ~ BitterSweetLife

Friday, June 16, 2006

Does "Spirituality" Have Physicality?

Or, Does Faith Have Weight?

Those of you interested in language, or those of you who would like to be interested in language, may want to take a look at the brief piece I wrote on the Vocabulary Reclamation Project re: Eugene Peterson's "spiritual theology" book, Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places.

(Or not.)

In the VRP post, I talk a little about some comments Peterson makes about the evolution of the word "spirit," which used to convey an earthy, evocative physicality, and now expresses a kind of pallid, limp interest in invisible stuff.

I'll be posting more on Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places here in the next several days. I've only read the preface, but I'm already impressed. I guess you would say that's a good sign.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Eugene Peterson!
I read the Message sometimes and think to myself: This guy really gets it!! The gospel is really as simple as he explains it!

I am a musician and I would be honored if you would check out my music. Its all free for download on my site. Anyway, I just thought that I would share.

Thanks,
-Sean
________________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."

AJ said...

Thanks, Sean. I'm always happy to meet people who enjoy Peterson. My NT prof likes to tell his classes that the Bible as it was originally written was NOT HARD to understand. As you say, Peterson seems to have taken this idea and run with it.

I'll take a look at your music site. Thanks for the note!

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife