Aidan’s Girl Trouble ~ BitterSweetLife

Monday, June 19, 2006

Aidan’s Girl Trouble

Ariel & Aidan picture

His life has barely started, but Aidan has already begun to spend quite a bit of time in the exclusive company of women. Due to his age, I’ve had mixed feelings about this, wondering if the little charmer has the necessary judgment to handle the moral dilemmas such situations can provoke.


Fortunately, after attending a baby shower for his cousin Brenna, Aidan confided that he has begun to have some misgivings about all the female hobnobbing.

As Aidan put it, “Dad, the problem with playing tag with the ladies is the…well, this will make me sound like a jerk.”

“It’s OK, Aidan. I’m good at reading between the lines.”

“Well…the jealousy makes me feel bad.”

“What?”

“You know, everyone wanting my attention at the same time. I only have two eyes. I only have one smile. It’s inevitable that someone feels left out.”

“Yeah, I see what you mean.”

“I just feel sorry for the women I don’t get to talk to. And then—”

“Yes?”

“Sometimes there are other people my age present.”

“Other babies, you mean?”

Dad, can you be a little less demeaning?”

“Oh, right. Just take it as a term of affection. So, other bab—I mean, other young people are present. So what?”

“This will make me sound like a jerk again.”

“No problem. Say it like it is.”

“Well, it just doesn’t seem fair. People always feel obligated to ‘introduce’ the ‘babies’ to each other,” (Aidan raises his eyebrows), “and then…comparisons are inevitable.”

“Comparisons?”

“Yeah, between me and the other young person. Have you ever seen a mother take a look at her own child, compare her to you, and burst into tears? It makes me feel bad.”

“Well, Aidan, it’s not your fault. If you feel yourself getting a big head, just remind yourself it’s in the genes: in God’s hands, out of your control.”

“I know, but I can’t help feeling—”

“Yes, you can. Look: the right thing to do is be friendly to as many of the young ladies as possible, maintain a humble stance, and don’t feel bad if other people take it upon themselves to make undue aesthetic comparisons.”

“Well, OK. Thanks, Dad.”

“No problem, son. I love you, you know.”

“I know. And I love you too. Hey, can you throw me in the air a few times this evening?”

“The chances are good.”



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

4 comments:

Pensive Girl said...

a belated happy first father's day to you.

Will Robison said...

I know exactly how Aidan feels. I wish I could tell him that this will pass, but well, you know... ;)

Nabeel said...

awww what a cute cute baby .. awww .. many kisses for the baby. the baby looks soo innocent ..

AJ said...

Thanks, Jessi!

As they say, Will, "heavy is the head that wears the crown..." Aidan can tell you what a burden it is, being good-looking.

Nabeel, Aidan is definitely cute. But innocent? If anything, Aidan contributes more than his share of proof that "original sin" is alive and well. (Apparently he's like his dad in that regard, or so I am told...)

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife