Portishead's Third Gets Mixed Review ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Portishead's Third Gets Mixed Review

...From Lindsay. She gave the album an initial listen, and diagnosed it as "bad and trippy, weird and annoying." From where I'm standing, that sounds like a mixed review for Third, the first new album from Portishead in ten years.

"Weird" and "trippy" could be understood as denoting something uniquely compelling. The other half of the review, not so much. I haven't listened to this Portishead album yet, but I'll let you know when I do.

Anyone else want to weigh in?



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, come on! Of course it's trippy, it's Portishead! :)

It's a stunning album getting great reviews. Paste magazine gives it a perfect 5 stars. Pitchfork calls this "psychedelic rock" in its glowing review. I'm guessing it will easily be in my top 10 of the year by year's end. If it isn't, it's not because it isn't outstanding.

Steve

AJ said...

I had to chuckle at the prospect of Lindsay taking on Steve "indie guru" McCoy over Portishead. Her tastes are (unapologetically) more in the folk/rock genre, and I'll undoubtedly give Third a better grade than she does. Ha ha ha.

Thanks for the note, Steve.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife