Upstart Mentality Boggles Wife ~ BitterSweetLife

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Upstart Mentality Boggles Wife

Upstart intellect pays off

My increased mental acuity is already paying dividends.

On Saturday, I challenged Lindsay to a game of Boggle. Now you would think that such a challenge would play right into my hands, given that I am an English major and president of the Vocabulary Reclamation Project. But in reality, things have tended to play out quite differently. Lindsay grew up with the game, and she is very accomplished. So much so that it would be misleading for me to say that historically, Lindsay beats me at Boggle.

Instead, honesty compels me to admit that in 4.5 years of marriage I have never won. That's the cold, hard fact, and for almost half a decade I’ve had dance to the music. Let’s just say the grin-and-change-the-subject routine was growing stale. It was only the fact that I virtually always won at Scrabble that kept Boggle on the table. That and my perpetual optimism. And finally, on Saturday, it all paid off.

Lindsay watched my chanting, gyrating celebration with an attitude of bemused tolerance. She was shocked at my victory, but after four years of total dominance she was fully willing to be generous.

But yesterday we played again. Her tune had begun to change.

My approach was pure swagger and confidence as I jotted down word after word, dropping verbal barbs each time the clock elapsed, trying to get inside Lindsay’s head. I was positioned as the Cinderella team, the come-from-behind media darling, the Gonzaga of Boggle, trying to knock off Duke. I smelled blood in the water and was determined to exploit my competitive edge. I had all the jocular energy generated by underdog rascality. Lindsay, meanwhile, was playing stiff, short-arming her pencil, writing words down tersely, playing not to lose.

But she did. Yes, she did. And I won, again. In our home, a new star is rising. And if I can overcome the new anti-Boggle laws for which some are agitating, I intend to nurse this dynasty for all it’s worth.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

15 comments:

Andy said...

Indeed, the lack of humility of said future recipient of the master's of divinity is rather disturbing.

Of course, being one who has won perhaps 2 out of 100 Scrabble contests against my own dear wife, I can attest to the pure joy of defeating one's soulmate.

Ignore my first paragraph. Walk with the swagger. And rub it in.

Andrew Simone said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andrew Simone said...

Remember, A.J., a house divided cannot stand. Boggle glory came become boggled glory in no time.

Still, congrats on the victory.

Anonymous said...

Boggle? Is that a game involving a round, orange ball?

I'll take people who don't know anything about sports for $100, Alex.

Anonymous said...

Heh, Heh. Speaking as one who has been married 19 years, there's nothing like a little "alpha male" display. Well done.

Cheers

John B. said...

A.J. does the Jayhawk Strut . . . I wonder if, among the words he won with, were "Rock" and "chalk." Congratulations.

The disparity you mention between your mastery of Scrabble and hers of Boggle is intriguing. Both are "word games," but each is played differently, of course, and Boggle has a time element besides, which Scrabble does not.

Something to ponder.

Dan said...

Great shot AJ - How long can you hold this winning streak?

Oneway the Herald said...

Congratulations, for now.

If my eyes aren't failing me, in this pic Lindsey is planning her redemption: "I wonder how sharp he'd be after eating Ramen for eight days?"

AJ said...

Wow, this is proving to be an indcendiary topic - and Lindsay hasn't even read it yet. I just want to say, right now, on the record, that I take it all back, ALL of it - except, of course, the part that I meant.

I'm already planning the follow-up post: How to Justify Your Competitive Nature in Eight Easy Days-uh, Steps While Eating Only Ramen Noodles...

I appreciate the virtual backslapping from some of the married veterans; you guys know what a victory like this does for morale. As for those of you who suggest a more humble, self-depreciating course of action, er, OC, I stand slightly in awe of you, and encourage you to rediscover your masculinity.

At the same time, I deliberately overlook the aspersions that John B. attempts to cast on my character with his Scrabble vs. Boggle allusions. (An act that will appear doubly generous when the Jayhawks beat the 'Horns in a couple weeks.)

And yes, Bagel, Boggle does bear some similarities to hoops, mostly in the rugged take-no-prisoners mentality it takes to win on the other team's home court.

Enough piffle for tonight. Long may the streak endure.

Andrew Simone said...

Awful is probably the word, Ariel. I often find that my pragmatic side overshadows my masculine. Having grown up in a house with two women I know clearly the fear of angering the fairer sex. Thems dangerous when perturbed.

Still, a good healthy gloat is certainly worth more than its weight in gold: I accept the fraternal correction.

AJ said...

Glad you're back on track, OC.

I couldn't help noticing that all the comments on this post are from guys; you almost get the impression that this blog has only male readers...

Of course, after this post, that just might be the case.

ninjapoodles said...

WOW, the metaphors run amok in that post! So many, my mind boggles! (HA!) But seriously loving that picture. I have lived that expression your wife is wearing oh, so often. You two (I've said it before) are impossibly young and adorable. I'm so glad to virtually know you.

Oh, and Ariel? I'm not sure you can really brag about being president of an entity you INVENTED. Just sayin'.

Peter said...

I took that picture. You should have given me credit.

Anonymous said...

This was certainly not the post to miss. I'm sincerely happy for your triumphant moment ("moment" is the key word here). I'd be surprised if the overdog doesn't retake preeminence here. Congrats, Mr. President.

Anonymous said...

Ummm....that was me.

Daniel

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife