Boggled Again ~ BitterSweetLife

Monday, February 20, 2006

Boggled Again

Despite Extra Sleep, the Superpower Falls

I won again.

It happened Sunday afternoon, at Lindsay’s grandma’s house. As we were hanging out, waiting for lunch to materialize, I casually asked if there happened to be a Boggle game in the house. As luck would have it, there was, and we found it—buried in a corner of the cavernous basement that is a fixture in virtually all houses belonging to grandmothers.

Lindsay had been feeling sick. In fact, she’d spent most of the morning sneezing, blowing her nose, and sleeping. Of course, the extra sleep was an unrecognized advantage for Boggle, and it could very easily have gone under the radar. Fortunately, I realized what I was up against.

And I wasn’t feeling that well myself. Of course, out of consideration for Lindsay’s feelings, I didn’t tell her. In fact, I haven’t told anyone, up until this moment. But I was having trouble functioning normally. My vision was blurry, and I had to concentrate really hard to bring the Boggle cubes into focus. The whole room was spinning.

But I did what I had to. In between matches (when I wasn’t explaining to Lindsay that “moo” is not a real word) I closed my eyes and put my head down, resting my vision and regaining my stamina for the next skirmish. I also consumed an entire bottle of Tylenol, using 7-Up and lemon tea to wash it down in the most healthy manner possible. I also gave myself a few cortisone shots, just in case.

It’s remarkable that no one noticed all the pain I was in, really. But I wanted the win. And despite the extra sleep Lindsay had enjoyed that morning, I got it. Boggle Victory Number 3 is in the books.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

4 comments:

Holly said...

Congrats on your 3rd win! And sorry to hear Lindsay is under the weather.

AJ said...

Thanks, Girl. Your applause is all the more meaningful since you are a girl, and could be expected to side with Lindsay. I'm glad you see the vital nature of this victory.

AJ said...

I should add that Lindsay is feeling much better, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Alright, man. Because you are my husband, because we are "one", I've tried to be gracious, tried to hold my temper in check, but this is getting ridiculous! I'd like you to start reporting on the consistantly stunning smack-downs I hand you when we are playing a round of Boggle. But... I guess since that happens so frequently, you'd have to do a day-by-day update. That might make your blog a tad bit predictable for your reading audience.

Just know that I hear your bragging, and I'm prepared to take you to the mat anytime... In fact, how 'bout tonight, after work?

And by the way, don't think you're getting away with this selective reporting, mister. "Moo" is not a word, but "bonk" certainly is, huh?

So shake those cubes and bring on the Boggle, babe, bring it on!

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife