Under a Summer Tree ~ BitterSweetLife

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Under a Summer Tree



Something I’ve been thinking about recently is George MacDonald’s idea of “thin places”—moments or locales where the veil between created, material reality and eternal, invisible reality is almost transparent. As McDonald writes in Phantastes, "a great hand reached out of the dark, and grasped mine for a moment, mightily and tenderly. I said to myself, “The veil between, though very dark, is very thin.”

I'm haunted by the thought of such glimpses.


::

Under a Summer tree
I found the soul of Autumn resting,
Fall that had-not-yet-arrived
Waiting in the warm-dry scent
Of curling leaves;
A glimpse, a little doorway
Into timelessness,
Unlooked for, uncanny.
Do trees see further?


Filed in:



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

4 comments:

Ryan Henderson said...

the only time i have heard this phrase "the thin place" is in reference to iona, the abbey off the coast of scotland where so much amazing liturgy is inspired. for me, the thin place appears when i am with people that i love deeply and know well, this sense of unity (though rare and fleeting) is a glimpse of the mystery of heaven, which we really have no idea about.

Charles Churchill said...

Nice thoughts Ariel and Ryan. And in case anyone doesn't have immediate access to Phantastes but would like to check it out, you can go here and legally download it (and a lot of other great works)

Unknown said...

There are ramifications when you quote McDonald...I'm linking your blog to mine.

AJ said...

"a glimpse of the mystery of heaven"

Ah, now you've done it. Don't get me started... Or rather, to save time, do a quick site-search using "Heaven." I also like your "unity" thought, and I think I agree. Glimpses of Christ in human faces.

Thanks for the thoughts and links, guys.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife