Sting of Invisible Beauty ~ BitterSweetLife

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Sting of Invisible Beauty



"Invisible Beauty": We see its cascading effects; we don't yet see its Source.
© 2005 Ariel Vanderhorst

Blogging has been on hold the last couple days as I mow lawns, house-sit and work on a message for Sunday morning, among other things. However, here’s another thought on the Show Us Jesus theme.

Most of us who follow Christ feel this way, I think, from time to time. Invisible beauty ranks high on our current list of the bittersweet. The fact is, though, we will continue to feel this way until this world order is reversed, and greatness is translated into appearance (1 Corinthians 13:12).

::

Invisible

Jesus, I wish you would meet me now,
And speak your living words in real-time.
I want to reach your side and see the sunshine
In your eyes, and be no longer blind.

Lord, I’ve believed, though I haven’t seen,
One-upped the disciples in this test;
I’ve leaned on the invisible, learned to rest—
Couldn’t I see now and still be blessed?




Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

5 comments:

. : A : . said...

Amazing view.

junat said...

hey why do u want to see the source if u believe in it....

the creator of such emphatic view know what he wants us to show....

he will show what u want to see but wud like u to see everything else and increase ur urge to see the source of it.

Charles Churchill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Charles Churchill said...

I think you hit on something very profound, but that runs alongside of, rather than opposes, what Ariel has said. Your point seems to be that God is sovereign and that His degree of revelation is sufficient to the moment of need. This is very true, and frequently forgotten. Ariel's point is exactly what you go on to say; in essence, that a peek of his glory urges us to see more of Him.

There is a danger-point there, to be sure, between longing and impatience, contentment and salf-satisfaction, faith and apathy, but it serves to underscore a point of life, namely that "Balance, by it very nature, is precarious."

AJ said...

Hey paddy, gymbrall fielded your comment so ably, I’m not sure I have much to add. But (of course) I’ll add something anyway. ;)

Christ chooses to let us see mere “glimmers” of him now, but surely he is disappointed if we throw up our hands and say, “Fine, alright, good enough.” The point in today’s revelation is to prepare us for greater revelation tomorrow.

The inverse, which I think you’re pointing up, is also true—sliding into a deep blue funk because I can’t have breakfast with Jesus (yet) would be a big mistake. We’re still in the bittersweet stage of revelation, where complete satisfaction and utter sadness are both unfounded.

There, I think I’ve managed to rearticulate what Gymbrall just said… ;)

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife