Mob Errand Boy, On Reporting Back to the Boss ~ BitterSweetLife

Monday, May 16, 2005

Mob Errand Boy, On Reporting Back to the Boss

Based on the relatively good reception of my recent experimental piece, and because Lindsay and I recently watched The Godfather, and because I'm studying for finals and feel like testing fate, I have decided to post another epic poem.

That's "epic" in a decidedly light-hearted sense.

::

Mob Errand Boy, On Reporting Back to the Boss
or The Made Man Who Got Away


When I gave him your summons
Over breakfast in bed
He said he’d get to it
But read Dilbert instead.
When he was reminded,
“A life’s a sad thing to waste,”
he stood on his mattress
and laughed in my face:

“The monogrammed rolodex
was a really nice perk
and my wife, so she says,
loves her new gator purse.
The Bentley you gave us
is still running fine,
so is the French poodle
with better bloodlines than mine.
Thanks for pouring our champagne
over diamonds on ice
and I’ve always liked Armani,
so the gift card was nice.

Thanks for all of the presents,
you silly, middle-aged clown,
but I’m skipping your meeting
and then I’m skipping town.
I know when the law finds me
there’ll be taxes to pay,
but taxes aren’t the certainty
I’m escaping today.

We both have been bloodstained,
we’ve both made our hits,
but remember your Dante,
a road leaves the abyss.
When there’s a debt to be paid off,
there’s a precedent for blood,
but not one drop was wasted,
and it was innocent blood.

I hope that you miss me,
I hope you age well,
If you start climbing now,
You might just get out of—”

Boss: “Did he really say all that?”
Jimmy: “Well, his lips were moving…and it sounded like his voice…”



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

0 comments:

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife