I've Discovered This ~ BitterSweetLife

Saturday, May 07, 2005

I've Discovered This



Inspired by my pal Oneway's recent excursion into rhythmic rhyming, I dug up this rag I threw together awhile ago.

::

I've Discovered This

A funny thing happened to me on the way to the studio.
Ok, so I'm running late as usual, just walking down the sidewalk, skipping the cracks for luck, and this ragged phat boy walks up to me, sipping a green one, and says, “I'M THIRSTY! Do you have something to drink?” Good one. So I said:

“I've discovered the fountain of life—
It flows in the way I walk.
See, I've encountered my Creator;
When we met, He posed the question:
‘Rot in hell or live forever?’
Tilt. Now it's the outcome that I mention.
See, I've discovered the fountain of life,
And it flows in the way I walk.
Funny, though, the things I notice:
People laughing, time still passing,
But I do more than talk the talk.
Clocks are merely sentimental:
Another sunset, games I'll forfeit,
Tick tock tick tock tick tock.
Hands go 'round, I don't get older
'Cause a fountain's bubbling over.
I've discovered the fountain of life,
And it flows in the way I walk.
Things people say just don't affect me…anymore.
'Cause the immortal know they're going…home.
Men like to say that life is showbiz. Sad.
I'm glad that I know what the truth is. ‘Fraud!’
You choose fire or a fountain:
Die forever or live young?
Don't kid yourself, you're not alone here.
Don't think that you're the only mother's son
To beg the question.
Faced with two choices, I chose the right one.
See, faced with flames, you'd better balk.
As for me, I've discovered the fountain of life—
It flows in the way I walk.”

“Does that answer your question?”
“Yeah, I think so.”
“Then better get something to drink.”




Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

EXCELLENT poem. :)

Anonymous said...

poem? oh... i thought it was a rap.
for some strange reason.

Anonymous said...

what up my man. long time no see. just got to you from DL's site. mine is www.xanga.com/calebstud if you want to check it out.

AJ said...

"i thought it was a rap.
for some strange reason."

I'd come out and call it rap...except I don't really like rap, at least not its popular forms. Just consider this one of those "spoken word" pieces created for a poetry slam. :)

Anonymous said...

cool blog. would subscribe but i am a xanga person myself, becomming a blogger too would be too much. cool site though.

AJ said...

"would subscribe but i am a xanga person myself..."

You're breakin' my heart. What's up with you Xanga people? You're so clannish. ;)

Oneway the Herald said...

Hot verses, Lion, have you ever spit on mic?

Poetry slams are a beautiful way to express.

If you're curious, check out Mars Ill, this duo is the pinnacle of hip hop right now.

AJ said...

I've never taken my verses to the stage...but then, KC isn't known for its art houses. Maybe I'll stumble across the golden opportunity at some point. How 'bout yourself? Are there any veteran slammers out there?

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife