Homeless Imagination ~ BitterSweetLife

Monday, May 23, 2005

Homeless Imagination



Saturday night, Lindsay and I were walking up the downtown block to our loft apartment when we were approached by one of our resident homeless guys. He came striding up behind me like they do, “Hey, man—” and I readied myself for the encounter. I must have looked more suburban and less collegiate than usual, because generally they take one look and then don’t bother.

Fortunately, my ingrained street smarts (gained by countless hours of blacktop hoops) must have been in evidence. They guy huffed up next to me and said, “Hey, if I could ask you a question…before you clip me with that two-liter…”
Amusingly, his instincts weren’t bad, because when we’d seen the guy soliciting a couple of people up ahead, I’d tightened my grip on a mostly-full bottle of A&W Root beer. Nice heft.

We listened obligingly to his story, which was more imaginative than some, and rewarded his muse with a couple of oranges. As usual, the delivery of food (in response to a story about arriving on a train, desperately hungry) was met with mild surprise. However, the proffered oranges were taken with goodwill and we parted ways.

No doubt there’s a moral here, like Strong drink can be useful in some contexts, but what stands out was the guy’s inability to improvise. Surely there’s a lesson here about creativity, or the lack thereof. What should you expect when you approach a couple who are obviously on their way home from a picnic—bowl of potato salad, a grocery sack, a 2-liter—and say your friends are hungry? Really, a more innovative approach was in order, like the one about how the car battery died and some change to make a phone call would solve everything.

Chalk up yet another case of wheezing imagination.


Filed in:



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

7 comments:

Paula said...

That's a really cool pic. It looks like a harp, kinda.

tequilita said...

i bought a guy outside walgreens a tuna sandwich and an orange juice one night when he asked for money "to get something to eat" -i didn't have cash but i had a debit card.

he gave me a dirty look when i gave it to him and begrudgingly said "thanks" -he didn't want money for food. big liar.

Oneway the Herald said...

diggin the pic, man

Anonymous said...

i gave this scrawny looking kid money for food, he got down from the train and bought himself a packet of bidis which in my country is a more lethal form of Cigarettes.

AJ said...

They should really just say, "Hey, could you spare some change for mind-altering drugs?"

But I guess that wouldn't win many donors.

I'm thinking of launching a photo portfolio on flickr or something.

canaanbound said...

After buying a homeless guy dinner (which is what he'd asked for), we were talking about how people pick their lives up and get out of a situation like that. We discussed the practical steps for a while, but then he just layed it out on the line, "It's God. It's gotta be God."

I think I'm gonna write that into a scene.

AJ said...

That's great.

A homeless guy I talked to at the Greyhound station in St. Louis once told me something similar... It's cool to hear the connection spoken out, hoping that it's made inside as well.

And hopefully that conversation does make it into a scene.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife