So Throw The Book At Me ~ BitterSweetLife

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

So Throw The Book At Me

Lindsay and I were “stuck” at home again today, our expertise as substitute teachers not having been called upon this morning. It's their loss.

Among other things, this interlude gave me a chance to polish off some assigned reading for my recent J-term class. Which, in turn, caused me to reflect on the feast I’ve enjoyed in the last several weeks, Reading What I Want To Read. Since going back to school, this is an experience I haven’t had regularly, and it’s been luxurious.

Now, I realize that listing these titles would not actually qualify as a “post of substance.” More horrible to consider, some might consider it intellectual preening or literary one-upmanship. But it’s really neither. Instead, it’s just me leaning back in my chair for a moment, closing my eyes and smiling…before I’m demolished by a flood of Hebrew syntax, textbook definitions and desperate memorization. Just a brief moment of peace, savoring the days I stole from the specter of cold academic expediency.*

So then, the books I’ve devoured during break:

Out of the Silent Planet – C.S. Lewis
Perelandra – C.S. Lewis
That Hideous Strength – C.S. Lewis
The incredible “Space Trilogy” by Lewis melds metaphysics with story and does it flawlessly. The philosophy is the story. God appears awfully great and I feel small, yet crucially significant. Awe, horror, and romance are invoked; the glory of creation, the banality of evil, the “truth” of myth—for Lewis, nothing is off limits.

Rumors of Another World – Philip Yancey
Yancey’s intentional foray into skepticism attempts to lure seekers toward faith with evocative “rumors” of deity. The resulting book is conversational and thought-provoking, but something less than an intellectual (or spiritual) tour de force. One could level the criticism that Rumors pushes one toward “transcendence” as much as toward Christian faith, as Yancey’s evidences aren’t always singularly Christ-centered.

Reed’s Beach – Bret Lott
Lott tackles pain and loss in this sympathetic story of a grieving couple. Their counterparts (another couple with “scars”), who serve as conduits for healing, are beautifully atypical in their sustaining beliefs. A great story where faith is more seen than heard.

Seeing & Savoring Jesus Christ - John Piper
Classic Piper, focusing on key aspects of Christ’s person. This was a vision-renewing book. The chapter dwelling upon Jesus’ eternal happiness was my favorite.

I have the sinking feeling that I’m forgetting someone—or someone’s book, which is very nearly the same thing. If so, there will be an update. In the meantime, enjoy whatever reading leisure you have to the fullest! And if you have none...eat your heart out. I will be...in about a week.


*This is what you call hyperbole, or dramatic exaggeration. I actually like my classes.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arie-
I am silently enjoying your blog more than I will ever say :) But, thanks for the list of books! I have a been waiting for a recommendation to come for a good book! Also, I agree with you, that chapter in Seeing and Savoring was my favorite too. Thanks for all your relative, uplifting, and refreshing blogs! Keep at it!

-Amy D.-

Tim P. said...

Ahh, the nearly somnolent bliss of J-Term (what school do you go to? ...I have a J-Term too)

AJ said...

Amy, thanks for the comment. You'll have to let me know what you end up reading! What other people are reading - that's one of those things I'm always interested in.

Metamorphosis said...

I'm still desperately trying to finish That Hideous Strength before my school load becomes too heavy! :)

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife