A Dangerous Game ~ BitterSweetLife

Monday, January 17, 2005

A Dangerous Game

Moments ago, against my better judgment, I fixed a broken clothespin. Yeah, believe it. In the past I've replaced light bulbs, but this... I feel like I’m standing at the edge of a cliff, or at a trailhead where trees hide the destination. Sure, the initial descent looks innocent enough, but who knows what it will lead to? Start fixing any little thing that Lindsay brings me, and where will at all end? In fact, I can only guess what—

Unbelievable. In an incredible expression of irony, Lindsay just interrupted this post, pleading with me to cut her hair. I did it, disproving that old adage, A lack of preparation on your part doesn’t necessarily mean an emergency on my part. And as you might guess, her bangs came out looking pretty good. Sigh. But come to think of it, I’ve been coasting down this slippery slope for days, weeks now. Just last Friday I fixed the broken door on our dishwasher. Calls to mind my coworker back in my brief stint in information technology. One day I watched him wire a phone outlet for DSL and he noticed my curiosity. “Believe me,” he said, “this is the kind of thing you do not want to know how to do.”

So, as I was saying… Actually, I guess this post doesn’t really have a point anymore.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

4 comments:

:..M..: said...

I really enjoyed reading this post. Something so soothing about it. I was wondering whether I can link you?

tequilita said...

i think it's really endearing that you seem to take pride in your "mr. fix it" role as a husband....unlike, bill cosby, who jokes that you should play dumb, and always do it wrong so you won't be asked again (men play dumb, but they're really geniuses -was the gist i think). it was funny but i think most women would rather have more of a team player.

. : A : . said...

Fixing obscure things is sometimes a real kick. You are not the only one!

;-)

AJ said...

.:M:., I allow anyone to link this site, free of cost. Big of me, huh.

But in all seriousness, I'd love you to link this page. Thanks very much for the thought and for the encouragement.

>>play dumb, and always do it wrong so you won't be asked again<<
What? If only I'd watched a few more episodes... And I had this option? ;)

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife