The Christian Story ~ BitterSweetLife

Monday, September 01, 2008

The Christian Story

I'd never try to tell you that the Christian faith isn't strange. We are flesh-and-blood people made by an invisible God. We worship a murdered immortal. We're guided today by a very wise Ghost. But the alien qualities of this faith is an argument for its divine origins, not weird human inventiveness.

The story Jesus wrote is stranger and more beautiful than anything in Tolkien, Wells, or any of a hundred genre-breaking authors.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crazy, isn't it? Either we're all insane or we serve an amazing God...so very fun.

must_decrease said...

Reminds me a bit of Chesterton:

"Imagination does not breed insanity. Exactly what does breed insanity is reason. Poets do not go mad; but chess-players do. Mathematicians go mad, and cashiers; but reactive artists very seldom. I am not, as will be seen, in anay sense attacking logic: I only say that this danger does lie in logic, not in imagination...men do not go mad by dreaming"

Will Robison said...

I study the Bible as a writer and my reaction is exactly the opposite. The Bible as literature is so complex and so imaginative in its story telling that, in the end, it can only be true - because nobody (and especially no collection of assorted and random nobodies)could have ever come up with such a story on their own. You know how real life often makes art pale in comparison, well when I read the Bible, I realize that its too good to be art - therefore it must be real life.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense as the coffee hasn't quite kicked in yet this morning.

AJ said...

@ Lauren, Ha, I like the way you think. In an odd sense, that's kind of what it comes down to.

@ Must_Decrease, nice work injecting G.K. Chesterton into the conversation. I like the way he considers theology (and death) "the greatest adventure."

@ Will, maybe I'm overlooking something, but it seems to me that we're both saying the same thing from a slightly different angle.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes God strikes me as being unbearably funny and His ways delightfully unexpected. And I laugh and realize that I'm a very sane person, afterall.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife