Perfectly Sweeping Statements ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Perfectly Sweeping Statements

Most of us, if we listened to our mothers, shy away from absolute assertions. Silly aphorisms like “Never say never or always” are stacked alongside clichés like “I’ve told you a million times not to exaggerate.”

The danger of such statements has been reinforced throughout our lives, especially if we’re married, and usually with good reason. It’s hard to make sweeping statements (“You never make coffee quite right”)* and maintain the high percentage of rightness that is so crucial to interpersonal relationships. (If you’re wondering what my rightness average is, which I calculate daily, I’m happy to report that I—well, on second thought, I’ll let you guess.)

On the other hand, I’ve realized with some pleasure that there is at least one instance where flat absolute superlative is perfectly fitting.

Consider:
Jesus was the best man to ever live.
No one is more loving than Christ.
No one will ever suffer like Christ.
No one is more joyful than Jesus.
Jesus was always right.
He never made a mistake.
He always wins.

There’s a joy, “childish” but profound, in the prevailing beauty of Christ. Finally, the source of the invincible absolute.


* Quotations and situations in this post are purely hypothetical and should not be applied in any way to the life (or wife) of the blogger.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found myself nodding my head as I read your post (the Jesus part, not the guy part). ;)

Joy

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife