Forget the Ivory Tower ~ BitterSweetLife

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Forget the Ivory Tower

It has been a weird week. By turns satisfying and vacuous, the last seven days have revealed the limitations of apartment living, the shortcomings of bookish seclusion, and the fragile nature of my “poetic” muse. At the same time, the necessity of musing and reading has been affirmed. They’re essential, but when taken in isolation, they can sap the life out of you.

It rained—freezing drizzle—all week, so getting outside was not an option. Academically, my duties were still with me, so an illusion of absolute freedom was impossible to maintain. Otherwise Lindsay and I might have packed up and drove off in search of sunnier climes.

But no, we had to stay put, inside, and I had to write papers, and my most worthwhile leisure pursuit, by default, was reading. Ironically, I wanted to read. But when reading became the only option, it lost some of its appeal. As Solomon said, “The writing of many books is wearying to the body,” and if this is true, we can assume that reading them all can be equally depressing.

I can’t believe I just wrote that. But I did, and there it is. Good things in too-large doses can still hurt you. Great books, without the benefit of sunlight, physical exertion and fresh air, preferably occurring simultaneously, possess all the allure of Webster’s reconstituted. Knowing should never be severed from doing. It’s good to get this straight now, early in life, so I won’t be confused later on.

Down the road, when I break an Oxford speaking engagement to hoop it up in a local gym, I will laugh in the face of my detractors. “I guess you just tanked your academic credibility,” they’ll sneer.

“Maybe,” I’ll reply, “but you just wish you had my jump shot.”

Knowledge and living, you just can’t keep ‘em separated. As far as the Ivory Tower goes, give me a bungalow in Ocean City or a cabin near Estes Park, and I’ll call it even. Meditation should not take place amid inaction. Musing needs conversation to keep it sane.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A weird week? I've had a weird 40 days. Gave up internet communication (except personal email with friends and family) for the whole time. It was dreadful. There were times when I almost didn't know what to do with myself. But I managed. ;-)

I am no longer aj. I have changed my name to Grace and have created a new blog look with a new blog path.

It's good to be reading you again.

Paula said...

I agree, especially for writing. Sometimes I have to take a break and go back into the world so that the words get re-energized.

But just a *little* break!

canaanbound said...

The juncture between discipline and being time is nothing but precarious and strange. Press on.

AJ said...

Thanks for the comments, guys. This whole thing has me rethinking the supposed paradigm of the secluded author, typing away in solitary profundity. I've heard that writers generally look for "boring" rooms in which to do their writing...which makes sense. But I'm thinking you have to balance that somehow!

Good to have you back, aj - Grace, that is. I'm on my way to check out the new blog.

Anonymous said...

"Musing needs conversation to keep it sane."

I like this sentence.
I think this may be the reason why many blog.
Maybe mine as well.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife