Literary Irony ~ BitterSweetLife

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Literary Irony



The Thoughts You Save May Be Your Own

G.K. Chesterton scribbled his inspirations down on linen napkins, shirt cuffs (his, we hope) and tablecloths. Lindsay would kill me if I went this far; and, anyway, my aesthetic sensibilities rebel at the thought of prolific ink stains.

However, I have been known to scribble incoherently concise (to others) notes on paper napkins, junk mail, and discarded academic forms. One benefit of this system is that the battered scraps of paper lying around eventually provoke me into developing them electronically. Then I can trash the originals, which are usually coffee-stained, smudged and liberally covered with ink-sketches by the time of their translation.

Arguably, the proper place for inspiration-transcription is a journal, but you can jot down kernels of thought in a nicely-bound journal and lose them forever. You close the notebook, put it on the shelf, and it takes an effort of will and a good memory to open it again and retrace your steps. The notebook just looks so right, so comfortable, sitting there on the shelf. It reclines in its corner; I lean back in my chair; the mental landscape is unobtrusively smooth and muted. A nap seems fitting.

Yes, the journal can definitely wait, but what’s this?—these ugly sheets of paper littering my desk!—these must be dealt with.

Filed in:



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

4 comments:

Andrew Simone said...

Jonathan Edwards used to go for strolls and pin pieces of cloth onto his cloths to rememeber his thoughts. They say on particularly long walks he looked rather funny.

As for me, I carry around a little black book to write in. I find it cuts down on the napkins and scrap paper.

Anonymous said...

i spend an inordinate of my time at a computer everyday, so i just scribble down a blog entry and save it as a draft if it feels incomplete.

there's something so inorganic about that.

littlepeace said...

I use sticky notes. When I have a thought, I write it down, and stick it somewhere (including the reverse side of my bathroom cabinet's mirror). :)

AJ said...

overlyconscious, your method is hip but risky. I've known little black books to cause all kinds of problems for those who write in them.

Saving drafts on Blogger does seem slightly surreal...but I'm not sure I don't envy you, tequilita.

littlepeace: Sticky notes, now that's more like it. I trust their annoying clutter will force you to write consistently.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife