Del.icio.us Dreams ~ BitterSweetLife

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Del.icio.us Dreams



Yesterday morning I woke up with the strange realization that I’d been dreaming about my blog. Specifically, the dream had to do with my successful implementation of a hack that allowed me to add tags to all my posts for seamless filing. Yeah, it was one of those fantasy-type dreams.


Turns out it was premonitory, though.

Very perceptive readers may have noticed a new line of script appearing at the bottom of recent posts. I reads: “Filed under...” As well, in the same line as the timestamp and comments, a small link has appeared. At the moment, the link is “[t],” but it has variously read “tag this” and “bookmark this.”

I’ve been experimenting.

It was shortly after my return from Colorado that I discovered that it’s possible to add categories (tags) to the blogger platform. It was in the days following that I discovered the hack required moderate HTML know-how. As the saying goes, I heard the toll of doom.

But as I write, I’m able to say (with reasonable confidence) that I have double-crossed fate again and BitterSweetLife is now fully tag-worthy.

What does this mean?

If you’re familiar with del.icio.us, you understand instantly the implications of my little code breakthrough. But, since most of my readers fall in the artistic/poetic, non-techie category, I’ll try and explain.

Del.icio.us is a system for compiling links. Think of it as a huge pile of all the links that anyone (and there are millions of users) has found remotely interesting. But this is not chaotic, because every link is sorted with various “tags” (i.e. “KUbasketball,” “C.S._Lewis,” “classic_literature,” “Death_Cab_for_Cutie”) for quick retrieval. So del.icio.us a link library, filled with pages that people have personally labeled and stashed away.

On a larger scale, the information-juggling potential of this “tagging” system is intruiging, and you may want to check out. For this blog, though, the repercussions are fairly straightforward.

  1. From here on out, each new post will be filed in one or more del.icio.us categories (“tagged”). As time allows, I’ll also go back and tag the archives.
  2. This will make BitterSweetLife uber-accessible; you’ll be able to pull up all posts pertaining to “Heaven” or “BitterSweetness” by clicking that tag. Effortlessly, you can read all my “Poetry” at once (not necessarily advised) or hit up “Lindsay” guest posts.
  3. Using the “tag this” or “[t]” link, you can tag and save posts to your own del.icio.us account (free).
  4. This blog is becoming fluidly navigable.

Here are a few more details.

How do I access BitterSweetLife’s tag categories?

Currently, the blog’s tags are available via the links below each post. Clicking one of these, i.e. “Heaven,” will take you to the blog’s dedicated del.icio.us page, where you can scan its topics. As I tag more posts, and develop the blog’s categories, I’ll add a list of all tags in the sidebar.

Can I search for tags I’m interested in?

At present, the way to do this is click any visible tag (under a post), which will take you to BitterSweetLife’s del.icio.us page. Once there, you can scan all the blog’s tag topics. However, I'll add a tag-list in the sidebar soon.

Does this matter if I don’t use del.icio.us?

If you’re interested in pulling up multiple BitterSweetLife posts by topic, the answer is yes. However, signing up at del.icio.us will allow you to save posts to your personal account for later retrieval. It's free. And of course, you can add non-BSL links to your list, and start exploring the (very cool) possibilities of online bookmarking.

Enough for now; tech update complete.

::

However, I am curious how many of you are already using del.icio.us. (I know of at least one intrepid tagger.) If you’re already in, leave a comment, would ya?

Filed in:



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

10 comments:

Charles Churchill said...

I use it, but as of yet have not had a reason to create an account. Now I do.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Livejournal now has tags integrated within the site as well.

Bruce, via gymbrall

Anonymous said...

Livejournal now has tags integrated within the site as well.

Bruce, via gymbrall

Anonymous said...

Oops, didn't look like it was working, but it was.

Bruce the amateur

AJ said...

Livejournal is ahead of Blogger on this one, the dogs.

I made my first Blogger post in triplicate, so as far as I'm concerned, you're ahead of the curve, Bruce.

Anonymous said...

Okay, okay. I see why it's so important to spend time putting tags on your blog. It's very useful.

Plus, this whole thing had taught me dreams really can come true. Congratulations!

LEV

AJ said...

Thank you, LEV, thank you very much! It's always good when your wife gets the big picture.

Widsith said...

Hi, I'm a newbie to your blog, but it was actually your tagging system here that inspired me to use del.icio.us on my own blog. I also have some moderate html know-how, but can't for the life of me figure out how to import those nifty little links to the bottom of each of my posts! hmm... Well, job well done on your blog though! (BTW, I also found LibraryThing through your site and have imported that to my blog now - Thank You!!) :)
- Dana

AJ said...

Thanks for the note, Almschrift. I added some hints at the bottom of my latest del.icio.us post that may help you streamline your tagging. I pretty much learned, er, cut and pasted, all I know from John at FreshBlog.

Widsith said...

Awesome - Thank you! :)
- D

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife