Short Story Slam ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Short Story Slam



Yesterday Lindsay and I held our first apartment-wide Short Story Slam.

Drawing from the bookshelves located a strategic intervals throughout our downtown loft, we transported a number of chosen authors to a living room staging area and dug in.

The scheme was simple. After a preliminary “warm-up” period, during which we each read several stories of our choosing, we entered the Slam proper. Lindsay “assigned” me a story she had just read: I consumed “The Wild Plums” by Grace Stone Coates as she continued her independent explorations. Then we discussed.

Then it was my turn. I made Lindsay read Julio Cortazar’s “The Distances” while I forged ahead. And so it went: alternating assignments, which the other reader continued to accumulate new material, the sessions punctuated by brief discussion.

In a word, delicious.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

4 comments:

Erin said...

This certainly makes me wish I'd married someone who defined 'reading' as something more than one does with street signs and comics!

Charles Churchill said...

ok, so here's my big question. Is that a picture of your books, and if it is, what's your favorite short story by Orson Scott Card?

I'm torn between several. The Changed Man and the King of Words, is a thousand classical tales retold from one family's point of view, a clash of the modern and the mythic, science vs. magic, free will vs. fate, an epic in 12,000 words, while The Porcelain Salamander is a simple tale of love and sacrifice that never fails to bring tears to my wife's eyes. Unaccompanied Sonata gently pulls me into joy-laced sadness everytime I read it while A Thousand Deaths which seems dark at first, is actually a tale of hope.

So, I'm torn you see. But as Card's stories are, if anything bittersweet, I'm interested in whether you have an answer.

junat said...

oh yeah reading is a good habit
it can also be interesting...

AJ said...

Hey erin, maybe you could bring your husband along slowly. Try and get him to read a James Patterson novel, or something similar that is essentially a comic book without pictures.

Gymbrall, that is indeed my pile of books, and I've been pondering the Card question.

I'm tempted to run off and read a couple more stories before I answer...

I haven't read The Changed Man or A Thousand Deaths yet, so (although that fact will soon change) I'm forced to answer re: the other two stories.

I think Unaccompanied Sonata gets my nod for its "joy-laced sadness." That story has a haunting quality to it. It would be hard to read it just once.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife