The Year’s Best Book ~ BitterSweetLife

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

The Year’s Best Book

We’ve all seen those “Book of the Year” lists, or at the very least the NY Time’s Top Ten. At first glance, the idea of compiling lists of books, pitting them against each other, and designating some as “best” seems to be a winner. And for the most part, it is. Even if the “top ten” were, by some freak accident, composed of pulp fiction, vitriolic ravings, and sentimental nonsense, there would arguably still be some value in the discussion such a list would provoke.

However, there are problems with standard “Book of the Year” lists, the most obvious being their chronological bias. I mean, c’mon! You’re telling me that every year, the “best book” just happens to be one that was published that year. Talk about a rush to judgment. Talk about societal self-importance.

We ought to have a level playing field, the only requirement for contestants being that they have been read within the given year. My winner will not be artificially bound by publication date. No chronological snobbery here. Simply the best book. Period.

Some of you may think it’s a little late to be choosing the “best of” from 2004. However, considering that the finest effects of good literature often appear long after consumption, a February ’05 release date makes perfect sense.*

So then. The initial field of contenders was about 40 deep. (For convenience’s sake, textbooks were not included in the initial reckoning.) Some quick weeding reduced the competition to an elite group of ten, listed alphabetically, not by probable level of greatness. (Note that—defiantly—not one of my finalists was actually published in 2004.)


Something Wicked This Way Comes – Ray Bradbury, © 1962

Brendan – Frederick Buechner, © 1987

The Great Divorce – C.S. Lewis, © 1946

Leap Over a Wall – Eugene Peterson, © 1997

Don’t Waste Your Life – John Piper, © 2003

Atlas Shrugged – Ayn Rand, © 1957

Whole Prayer – Walter Wangerin, © 1998

The Picture of Dorian Grey – Oscar Wilde, © 1854

The Jesus I Never Knew – Philip Yancey, © 1995

Recapture the Wonder – Ravi Zacharias, © 2003


As I surveyed my Top Ten, I realized the trap I was setting for myself. If I attempted to narrow the list down, degree by degree, book vs. book, until I had selected the “best” volume, I’d have to somehow outline my criteria, justify the elimination of the other nine, and write a very convincing explanation of why The Book was astonishing and life-changing.

I don’t have that kind of time.

Therefore, here is your winner. In five different categories.

Best Theology/Philosophy-Conveying Story
The Great Divorce – C.S. Lewis

Best “Classic” Bittersweet Novel
The Picture of Dorian Grey – Oscar Wilde

Best “Modern” Bittersweet Novel
Something Wicked This Way Comes – Ray Bradbury

Best Life-Formation
Recapture the Wonder – Ravi Zacharias

Best Applied Theology
The Jesus I Never Knew – Philip Yancey


Of course, you should just read them all. It goes without saying that each of the “top ten” have bittersweet, truth-inducing undertones to them, when read in the right light. The right light, of course, being Christ. Beyond that, you’ll have to take my word on their bestness, without further enumeration...at least for now.

So get reading.


* Although even this is somewhat rushed. Ideally, choosing 2004’s best book would be an ongoing process. It’s totally feasible that in ’06 I might realize that what I had thought was ‘04’s masterpiece was just a passing fancy…and a previous darkhorse had turned out to have real staying power. And then, Surprise! in 2008 I would examine 2004’s revised winner, and realize… You get the point.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the only person I've come across since 12th grade who has also read Atlas Shrugged. That was 29 years ago. Does it end the same? If I recall correctly, the world ends and only John Gault and his chosen ones remain? Never mind. You don't have to answer. I won't be back until Lent is over. I'm taking a blog/newsgroup hiatus. God bless!

-the other aj-

Tim P. said...

I can't believe Atlas Shrugged made your top ten. In my opinion it is pure kitsch. Not only that, but her Objectivist philosophy is utter nonsense.

AJ said...

I had a feeling Atlas might be the provocative entry. "Pure kitsch"...I wouldn't go quite that far. "Objectivist nonsense" - there I agree. As I said, way back in my "review" of the book, Atlas Mugged, "...most lessons were negative, as in 'that’s not quite the way things are,' since the biggest piece of the puzzle was missing."

Sometimes various aspects of the truth become most beautiful when they are glaringly absent. For me, Rand's book had enough quasi-realness & artistry in it to make this happen.

I could qualify Atlas' inclusion in various other ways, but if you're interested, just hit the above link.

Fucktard said...

New reader first post. I havent read any of thoes books but I have been looking for some good reading. The Youth Pastor at our Church has told me some good ones to help me assist w/the YOuTs, but just for General reading I would like to Get some in my head.

AJ said...

>>I havent read any of thoes books but ...I would like to Get some in my head.<<

Right on, Criz. Brings to mind the old Mr. Pibb slogan, also fitting here. Books. Get 'em in your head. The great ones, that is.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. The I read Something Wicked This Way Comes when I was in high school and barely remember it now. Atlas Shrugged was very well written, but she was so EXTREME in her views. I definitley lean to the right, but I don't think someone is ethical and moral JUST because they work hard, and that's the message I thought she was conveying when I read it way, way back. Also, John Galt's radio broadcast was so long I skipped much of it and back then I NEVER skipped sections of novels. I far preferred the one she wrote about the woman trying to escape communist Russia...it's not one of her two most famous novels. I think I read The Picture of Dorian Gray when I was in high school, too, so my memory of it is fuzzy. However, I wouldn't have put made it the best bittersweet novel on my list. I'm not sure which book I would place there just off the top of my head...choosing favourites is not something I excel at. I haven't read C.S. Lewis since I read the Narnia Chronicles as a kid; he just doesn't appeal to me.

AJ said...

All right, more book talk! Thanks, Karin. Something Wicked...has parts I would have to characterize as beautiful. Beautiful, and nearly impossible to paraphrase.

Now that you mention it, John Galt's radio broadcast bored me to tears. I remember writing sloppy, annoyed notes in the margins, something to the effect of "Can she be serious?" And it goes on for 70-some pages...or was it 700?

When I read The Picture, I went through with an eye for underlying philosophy - overarching themes - which, to the extent I could read Wilde himself into the story, was quite bittersweet.

As for this:
>>I haven't read C.S. Lewis since I read the Narnia Chronicles as a kid; he just doesn't appeal to me.<<
You know, of course, that you're breaking my heart?

Alternative "top ten" suggestions are welcome.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife