Deceptive Preferences ~ BitterSweetLife

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Deceptive Preferences

I’ve talked myself into a corner on this one. I have a somewhat shaky hierarchy of upcoming posts in my mind, and it was just sharply jostled—ironically, by me. Topics of crucial importance like KU’s shot at the Final Four and my successful transition back into coffee will just have to wait. All because of a hasty decision on Friday.

Trying to slap up a quick post (below) in the path of the onrushing weekend, I said, among other things…

“don’t tell me that I’m getting old…

don’t tell me the sun sets every day…
don’t tell me the truth, tell me a lie
‘cause I’d prefer to never have to die.”

Taken in itself, these lines have all the makings of an appallingly sentimental, pitifully delusional post—in short, exactly the kind of post you come to this blog hoping not to find. Of course, you all noticed these words appeared in poetic form, implying they didn’t necessarily express the thoughts of the author.

At least, I hope you noticed.

So then, to the point. Don’t you think that truth has a bit of a kick to it?

Often I hear someone say something to the effect of “I just don’t believe that” or “You don’t think that’s actually possible, do you?” or “No! He didn’t mean it!” or “You can’t be serious” when in fact they should, I do, he did, I was.

And, because that sentence was self-involved enough to baffle Comp professors, I’ll clarify: Don’t you think one reason so many people have an aversion to truth in so many forms is because it’s potentially so painful?

Often when someone says “I don’t believe that!”—in any number of areas: relationships, business ethics, journalistic integrity, sportsmanship, and yes, of course, spirituality and faith—I think, Of course you don’t believe that. If you did, you would have to radically change your life.

What I’m getting at, I think, is this strange new form of fundamentalism. All to easily, we end up tied to a way of thinking, not because it is true, but because it yields the conclusions we want. The new “fundamentalist” is a narcissist, unquestioningly committed—to his own perspective. We should all learn to query not just What we believe, but Why.

Truth, like gravity, may smart on impact, but we live in a world where, Surprise! getting it right is of the essence.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this "new fundamentalist way" a type of personal relativism to the truth?

AJ said...

>>Is this "new fundamentalist way" a type of personal relativism to the truth?<<

Absolutely. What intrigues me, though, is that it's relativism mixed with "certainty." A relativist fundamentalism. If that's not contradictory, I don't know what is.

Anonymous said...

Do you think that this "fundamentalist relativism" is most prevalent in the Christian spectra or is it found in the sucular as well?


Also, Are "moral relativism" and "fundamentalist relativism" the only choices we have towards moral truth in this day and age; or is there something greater to be had in the ways of a moral life?
If yes, please explain.

AJ said...

Thoughtful questions, anon. Here's what I think.

>>do you think this "fundamentalist relativism" is most prevalent in the Christian spectra or is it found in the sucular as well?<<

I tend to think it's a human problem, one which can only be escaped by searching for and adhering to Truth - as revealed. If we don't come to terms with ultimate, absolute truth (Christ) then we'll end up believing what we want to...the "religious" and "secular" alike.

>>is there something greater to be had in the ways of a moral life?<<

In a word, Yes. We never need to subscribe to something because it's intellectually in vogue...or philosophically in style. "Committed relativism" is today's favorite approach to life. This is ultimately as relevant to the truth as opinion polls are to one's parents (ala Calvin & Hobbes).

Truth is waiting to be found, embodied in the person and words of Christ. Despite our relativist wanderings, he's never moved.

That's why I say our approach to life should be post-postmodern. Let's get back to the higher reality that's always been present...and will continue to be.

Anonymous said...

What I love about the truth of the bible is that it cuts right down to the core of who we are and starts rebuilding us from the inside out. It's spirit-building, which is painful, but so powerful because it brings freedom-"you will know the truth and the truth will set you free". The "truth" of the world is a horrible imitation. It works in reverse of real truth, painfully attacking the superficial("that guy's job is low paying and unglamorous) and works inward ("therefore, his life doesn't have much purpose"). This "truth" brings pain that leads to being caged in, bound up. So... both truths, the world-centered and God-centered, can be painful, but the truth of the bible, the truth of Christ has love as its prime mover and freedom of the spirit as its goal. Pain is the means to a glorious end.

~Lindsay

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife