Jumping Through Hoops ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Jumping Through Hoops



Back in my high school days I studied Latin for about two years, and, with scholarly acuity, I still remember one phrase:

“…Mens sana en corpore sano…”

Which, to be fair to the ancient author, is in reality a segment of a larger phrase. However, for the purposes of this post, I’m not particularly interested in quoting Juvenal in context.

The meaning I’m after is encapsulated in those five words, which are translated: A sound (sane) mind in a sound body.

One of the mainstays of this blog are semi-regular posts where I comment upon how my basketball game is slipping, how my jumpshot isn’t in the mid-80% range as usual, how my margin of victory has dropped into single digits, how I can no longer dunk, etc. All because of my studies.

In the name of variety, I thought I’d mix that pattern up. Vary the routine, you know, even though it is NCAA hoops season. So here’s the complaint you knew was coming, but reconstituted:

My basketball game is no longer sliding. Nor is it progressing. It just isn’t. In other words, there’s nothing to evaluate. And that’s what I’m griping about.

You spend all this time pursuing a sound mind, only to realize that the sound body has gone into retirement. Or at least it’s threatening to go on waivers and cancel the current season.

I plan on ending this crisis at the soonest possible opportunity (in the meantime settling for lay-up-enhancing pushups and pick-enhancing sit-ups). But it does bring up a wider question at which I’d like to take a swing.

Why are so many “academic” people…fat?

I can feel the resentment beating down on me as I (nervously) write, poking at one of our culture’s untouchables—the gut. But…what gives?—other than those jelly-roll paunches?

How can we so totally disregard that ancient Roman virtue, which has been argued (at least in theory) ever since—that a fit body is the necessary wheelhouse for a smoothly operating mind? To think otherwise seems counterintuitive, to say the least. Nonetheless, people everywhere are eager to disprove the theory, putting their money where their mouth is.

There now, wasn’t that an atypical basketball gripe?



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

9 comments:

Oneway the Herald said...

What? You speak of a balanced life? One in which discipline sowed leads to freedom reaped? One in which we don't only react, but we act?

I've heard it helps to be a successful blogger if you are impulsive and obsessive about writing. I guess I'll never be successful at blogging, tempting as it may be. There's more to this adventure.

*why, yarn?* said...

very convicting, i shall have to workout too..

Anonymous said...

I have to chime in on this one, not to sympathize, its more of a gloat.

On my lunch break at Nike I get the opportunity to play a little ball, the 5-5 kind. And... I must say, my skills have not left me. This week, I impersonated Reggie Miller, or if you will Jeff Bochee, to perfection. First game 2-3 from mars, 2nd game 3-5, and 3 game 4-7. So based on those three games, I will forever get the "SHOOTER!" label whenever I get my hands on the ball. This as you know, is great for coming off a pick fast, setting my feet, getting ready to fire off a beautiful high arcing shot... and from the corner of my eye see a flash of red as my man makes his way (about time!) through the pick, and tries desperately to close me out. The great thing about this all, I have no intention of shooting. One pump fake, he goes by, and I get a nice jumper from the elbow, a sweet dish to my man down low, or one of my patented taking off from the free throw line eclipsing two defenders on my way to a spectacular jam. Ok, not the last one, but the first two definitely....

Thanks for that, I've needed to unload that one for awhile. I feel better now that someone knows I'm still an NBA (or euro league I guess now) contract waiting to happen.

Anonymous said...

I know from experience that when I do not exercise my mind and my confidence level get kind of lazy, weak, and problematic. I have also found that when I do not have a regular exercise plan I start smoking. I am not smoking now but that is because I have in the back of my mind that there is a bicycle in the garage waiting for me, waiting there to be abused and ridden at alarming rates;thus,the fun of exercise along with the benefits far outweigh the easy smoky lazy route.

AJ said...

>>I've heard it helps to be a successful blogger if you are impulsive and obsessive about writing.<<

The problem with "impulsive, obsessive" writing is that it results in impulsive, obsessive posts, which are...(unless you're Edgar Allen Poe?)...overly weird and boring. At least that's what I suspect.

Three cheers for purposeful, steady blogging! ;)

AJ said...

>>I have to chime in on this one, not to sympathize, its more of a gloat.<<

Darn, Jonas. Some people have all the luck. As I write, I'm experiencing something like heartburn. Gloat well taken.

So when is you're Euro-ready game coming back across the Atlantic? I'll be waiting...

mermaid said...

Ariel, I'm going to take a shot at this from a little different perspective. The mind and body are connected. You say that the body needs to be fit in order to support the mind. I agree, but I also see it the other way, too.

So many dis-eases are rampant, especially obesity in America, which equals diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, etc. The diseases that people like to sweep under the table are things like anxiety and depression. With mood disorders (unhealthy minds), how is one going to even attempt exercise? I think the mind needs to come first, and then the body will follow.

We work, study, etc to get by, but we hold so much angst in our muscles and bones, from chronic headaches, to low back pain...I could go on and on. If you're not able to play as much as you used to, I still congratulate you for recognizing it and making time where you can to hone your temple.

AJ said...

>>I think the mind needs to come first, and then the body will follow.<<

Poetic, you make an excellent point. "Sound bodies" don't form themselves. I agree, the "sound mind" has to come first, and the causality between the two can't be overlooked. That's a helpful tilt in perspective.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you posted a comment on my blog (The Joshua Tree), otherwise I would not have found yours. You have a very interesting perspective. A perspective that I think many share, but are unable to express as clearly as yourself.

Great job, I look forward to reading more!

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife