False Dilemma ~ BitterSweetLife

Monday, November 22, 2004

False Dilemma

I just completed an enjoyably flippant post about my somewhat conflicted life, and now real exertion stares me in the face. We have a working relationship, but I still don't like the looks of him.

One of my professors assigned this incomprehensible paper. You know the story: "Masters students don't need breaks, writing causes serious reflection, forces articulation, these are weighty issues, etc., etc."

So off I go to write a treatise on Christianity & Culture, by the learned Gresham Machen.*

This post is a delaying tactic.

So let me tell you a little about Mr. Machen. His premise is that over the centuries, "one of the greatest problems that have agitated the Church is the problem of the relation between knowledge and piety, between culture and Christianity." In other words, doing and knowing seem to be at odds.

Anything more than a cursory look at the problem reveals there's really no conflict at all, unless one flies to an extreme of studious introspection or ignorant spontaneity. As everyone knows, you can't pull out the quick crossover-dribble/fade-away-jumper combination if you don't practice it first. But many people, I think, are naive about the relationship between learning and application. The bridge between truth and causality needs to be reemphasized, affirmed, restored. I guess that will be the point of my paper.

This is also precisely the point that Machen makes.

Why can't I just say that we agree and leave it at that?

*If you read it, let me know what you think. Better yet, blog about it, and I'll cite you in my paper. ;) It's an excellent piece, all the more impressive since it was originally presented live.

Filed in:



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

2 comments:

tequilita said...

it's so strange that you are posting about this today. this has been on my mind so much lately. very slick mr. preacherman...challenge us, make it interesting and we'll do our homework ;)
i don't know if it's just me, but i find the melding of faith and fact to be the adult part of my journey. the emotional relationship [foundation laid] as a child is the backdrop, but my soul craves more. Christ is everywhere, in everything. i need to find Him most when on the surface He seems separate. i first developed a taste for it in college. the young priests at the student center were so intellectual. i find that everything fits when you look closely. choose your teachers wisely. faith and fact are yin and yang -they fit. but the right understanding has to come from the love we nurture early as christians. all that being said, ultimately faith abides.

AJ said...

That's right. :) I think what you're describing is a "child's faith" developing into the sophisticated wisdom of a mature believer. (Machen urges this.) Christ infuses clues to his presence throughout creation, and invites us to align everything else with his character, utilizing both heart and mind!

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife