Dawn of a New Era ~ BitterSweetLife

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Dawn of a New Era

Well, it's the morning after, and the results are in. As the excitement and hoopla dies down, it's time to tally up the results... My birthday usually coincides with election day, which would have been a real thrill this year, but the six-day discrepancy isn't preventing me from taking stock of the changed landscape political/residential landscape simultaneously, as usual. So, illuminated by a post-Birthday glow, here are my new library acquisitions:

Reversed Thunder - Eugene Peterson
The Abolition of Man - C.S. Lewis
The Unnecessary Pastor - Marva Dawn / Eugene Peterson
Pilgrim At Tinker Creek - Annie Dillard
The Real Face of Atheism - Ravi Zacharias
Heaven - Randy Alcorn
What's So Amazing About Grace - Philip Yancey
The New Encyclopedia of Christian Quotations - Mark Water, compiler
The Bartender's Bible - Gary Regan

Good books. They're like hair-trigger explosives, ticking away until you flip open the first several pages, then - BOOM! A good explosion. In what ways will these titles nuance my thinking and affect my lifestyle? Man, I can't wait until Christmas break.

Filed in:



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My book collection is somewhat large. I have two bookcases in my "entertainment" room, but the books are currently sitting on the floor from the move from the upstairs to the downstairs. I need to put them back where they belong.

I have a database of my books in my Palm IIIc. It's almost mandatory to keep some kind of database so you know what you have and what you want/need. It also helps to keep from duplicating books, which I have done :).

Anonymous said...

Oh, happy birthday, Mr. Vanderhorst. You are out of high school, right? :)

Tim P. said...

Abolition of Man is an excellent read (and it's short too)--I'm kind of surprised you haven't already read it (though maybe you have and now you merely own it as well). Zacharias is an interesting character--a sharp guy who communicates well, but I think that perhaps he can a bit too accessable, sometimes ideas and thoughts of great substance can get decaffinated by his presentation. Looking to hear your upcoming epiphanies...

AJ said...

I, too, have book databases. They're mostly for the purposes of acquisition though. I tend to remember what I already have, although my book shelves are giving way to a crude new "stack-based" reference system.

Thanks for the "Mr." birthday nod, Bagel. I guess I still feel young. (little inside joke there.)

True, I should have read Abolition years ago, but better late then never. There are other startling gaps in my self-education, but I won't reveal them here... I've been a Zacharias fan for years; I think his strength is live communication, but his writing tends to be instructive as well. (A couple of his talks on CD were acquired this birthday.)

I'm curious who you guys read. Have you encountered Yancey/Peterson? How about top ten author lists?

Others may, of course, throw their $.02 in.

tequilita said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ARIEL!

Ninjanun said...

I like Ravi as well, although I've only heard him on audio.

And yeah, for all the C.S. Lewis books I've read (and adore), The Abolition of Man is not one of them. I'm sure I have it in one of the collections, though. Must get around to reading it sometime!

I've read Philip Yancey's The Jesus I Never Knew. It was pretty good, but rather "lite." Still, good stuff, good perspective. I've never read What's So Amazing About Grace?. I'm wondering how it would compare to another (favorite) book on the subject, The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning (forword by Rich Mullins!).

AJ said...

Yancey can be accused of catering to the illiterate masses at times, but his writing has a certain verve that I appreciate. His latest, Rumors of Another World, looks promising.

I've heard good things about Danny, er, Brennan Manning, but have yet to encounter him. The Ragamuffin Gospel...

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife