Basketball Musings ~ BitterSweetLife

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Basketball Musings



On Saturday I returned to my favorite hoops locale after three weeks away. I’d definitely missed it—the regulation three-point arc, the hardwood floors, the familiar right-side baseline where I habitually ditched defenders for pull-up jumpers. Ah. I’d been away too long. But, as these things usually are, the vacation turned out to be costly.

The return to my court wasn’t royal. I clanged most of my shots and didn’t have the legs for the customary three hours of full-court action. So much for quick feints and slashing to the basket. Forget about knifing inside to steal rebounds.

Instead I spent my time lurking on the perimeter, steadily sweating out my salt content. After a couple hours I looked like the guy in the commercial who DIDN’T drink Gatorade.™ Maybe the four cups of coffee before the game didn’t help.

It kills me, that academic excellence (or at least the pursuit thereof) seems to require a proportional decline in one’s athletic ability. Aargh.

Bittersweet.


Filed in:



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

5 comments:

tequilita said...

aaaah, blinded by the shiny blue shorts! just kiddin'. sorry the hoop eludes you...maybe it would help your game if you put shoes on? ;)

AJ said...

There's a certain bravado that must be maintained when playin hoops. A general rule of thumb is, the louder the shorts, the better.

This photo was taken after a depressing post-game interview.

tequilita said...

i's just messin. hope you don't mind my poking fun in your moment of despair.

AJ said...

Not at all, not at all. That's what it's there for. ;)

AJ said...

"i's just messin" - your post reveals the beginnings of a nice hoops vocab...!

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife