Slogans with Ambitions ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Slogans with Ambitions

The other day I happened to drive by a glossy whiskey billboard, newly decked out for the holidays. "THE LONGER YOU WAIT…THE BETTER IT GETS" the slogan suggested.

A weak-kneed colt contrasted a stallion in full racing regalia, galloping across a finish line. The prerequisite amber bottle glowed prominently between.

Maybe my mind had taken a pessimistic turn that afternoon, but I thought, Why not show a third picture, maybe ten years down the road? You know, the emaciated old horse abandoned in his paddock. Or maybe just a bag of dog food…

To be fair, the billboard wasn’t that awful; it just grated on a perpetual sore spot of mine, an entrenched dislike for cultural assumptions masquerading as a priori truth. When people act as if reality changes, the world magically realigning itself just because they made an assertion, it always gets me.

"The longer you wait, the better it gets?" Will any of us be making that claim in 90 years? Not about alcohol, anyway. I know, I know—that’s not really the point of the ad. But blunt assertions, absorbed gradually over a lifetime, aren’t without effect.

I can think of a few more cultural credos which imply tacit "absolutes." Consider the Budweiser creed: life revolves around beer and flirtatious women (and in that order). And this, it is casually suggested, is the essence of what we consider TRUE.

But truth, to be true, must be supportable at every level. In the case of the Budweiser creed, a host of logical assumptions follow, none of which are really sustainable. Such as, What’s the role of family? (Do kids even exist in the Bud universe?) How about responsible work, the kind you do when you’re not living for the weekend? And where can I find a case for women as multifaceted beings, not objects?

Ultimately, cultural premises with absolutist aspirations are nothing new. The familiar content of our wanna-be truisms should tip us off to the fact that this phenomenon is anything but modern. As the old Greek idiom ran, "Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die." Sounds pretty TRUE to me.

"Ah, c’mon!" you might tease me. "Those are just commercials, man, not life! People are smart enough to know the difference."

To which I would agree, "Yeah, people certainly are."

But I’m not convinced they do. So until we’re all fully prescient and entirely aware of life’s subtle nuances, truth needs to be proved before it’s truth.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

5 comments:

Paul Daniel Siemens said...

I have the exact same sore spot as you do. Going down the street I'll almost lose my mind due to bill-boards. And as for those who claim: "Those are just commercials ... People are smart enough to know the difference." I ask, if people are so smart then why do companies bother running multi-million dollar marketing schemes? There is a subconcious communication that takes place, but it goes beyond the commercial realm, which it is designed for, and into the collectives's unconcious paradigm. Indeed, I wholly aprove of "culture-jamming".

Mrs. Darling said...

Just dropping by to wish you a wonderful New Year!

AJ said...

"Culture jamming," I like that. Could be a useful phrase.

>>Sometimes these faux-truths and sly lies are so flimsy and gauzy that they simple evaporate upon the simple act of holding them up to the light. Which, therefore makes holding stuff up to the light a good exercise.<<

Well said! There's something inherently satisfying in debunking so-called "truths."

Happy New Year, all!

. : A : . said...

Happy New Year! Hope you have a fantastic year ahead.

Norma said...

When I left a comment at a Lutheran blog about his photos of pretty barmaids and beer promotions, I was asked none too politely to leave the premises. Blog bouncers at the door!

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife