How To Tell If Your Life Is Lacking Adventure ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, December 09, 2004

How To Tell If Your Life Is Lacking Adventure

Last night Lindsay's parents invited us to join them for dinner at Jalapeno’s, a local Mexican place, and we eagerly complied. Jalapeno’s is arguably one of the better Mexican restaurants in town, which accounts for us going there fairly often, especially when someone else is buying.

To say we've been there "a few times" would be a gross understatement. So, as we pored over our menus, an array of familiar choices greeted us. Actually, there were only a couple of dinner options with whom I had yet to make an acquaintance. In a cursory way, I looked over the choices and old # 5, the infamous "Hombre" seemed to be calling my name. But then, "Why not branch out?" I thought.

It seemed like it would be somewhat ridiculous to go to the same restaurant dozens of times without trying every item on the dinner menu at least once. And so I made my decision. "I'll take the 'Old el Paso.'"

My father-in-law looked at me, esteem in his eyes. "It's good to try new things," he said. "I really respect that."

And that's when it struck me. I need to get out more.

Maybe next time we'll go to a different restaurant.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

8 comments:

Darlene Schacht said...

I popped in to visit your site and enjoyed your writing. I found your link through a comment you left at Amy's site about her hot dog eating champion of a brother.

You express yourself like a bowl of colorful gourmet jelly beans! So much variety in your words, and food for thought. Something I have yet to learn.

AJ said...

Thanks, Darlene. Matter of fact, I'm a fan of "jelly bellies." And they are colorful...but not very good for you. If I could create a variety of jelly belly that also provided your recommended daily vitamins, that would be what I'm aiming for. :)

. : A : . said...

Something similar happened to me sometime ago. Another coincidence!

:-)

travis said...

On the other hand, it is somewhat comforting when the person on the other side of the counter already knows what you are about to order. It expedites the whole ordering process. There is a particular fast food joint here in town where this happens to me quite often.

At first, when I realized they were growing accustomed to my routine, I had your initial reaction that I need to try something new. But then I realized they kind of like having me come in when they already know what I am going to eat for lunch. I think it makes them feel like they know me a little better because I am not always "changing it up" on them all the time.

Travis

Anonymous said...

You could try something different on the menu. I've been going to the same Japanese rest and ordering the same thing for a year. When I started ordering something else on the menu, the waiter was shocked but it turned out to be great.

hmmm, maybe your SO's father was right, I need to get out more.

:: Mona ::

AJ said...

Hmm. There seems to be a delicate balance here. On the one hand, I agree - waitors/waitresses often love it when they can "surprise you" by knowing what you want before you order it. I have an arrangement like that at my favorite cafe. On the other hand, the need for adventure and variety in life must not be ignored. Or is there a third option...? That food isn't supposed to really meet that craving for "adventure?" Hmm.

:: pushes back chair, walks toward living room... ::"Honey...can we go bungee jumping?"

. : A : . said...

bungee jumping ... LOL

:-)

AJ said...

Hey Roy, sounds like we're neighbors in some sense.

I'm guessing that it's the same location - and yes, pretty good food. What really makes your "waitress story" unusual is the intuitive part where she selected the person you'd sit next to. Now that is remarkable.

Yes, bungee jumping is right up there on my list...along with sky diving, hang gliding, bridge jumping, etc. What's life without a little R&R!?

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife