Sufjan Stevens the Author ~ BitterSweetLife

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sufjan Stevens the Author

Little known fact: Sufjan Stevens's first love was/is writing...although you could have reached this conclusion from his remarkable lyrics. From an excellent Smithsonian article.

After graduation, Stevens went to New York City, where he worked as a designer for a publisher and took night classes in writing at the New School for Social Research. "I took workshops and went to readings and basically tried to network and get to know as many agents and publishers as I could because I was really fixated on getting published. I just felt like the music was a distraction, that it had gotten me nowhere."

Then he recorded Michigan and became famous. But now...
Because I had lived my life with so many goals and so many aspirations and so many plans, and I've come to the realization that I no longer need to create that kind of structure. That I don't need to be so goal-driven. So right now I'm just taking the year to write and to work on a lot of other projects, and to maybe go back to fiction writing."

HT: Kevin Cawley.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

1 comments:

noneuclidean said...

Soooooooo does this mean no Christmas EP?

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife