Great "Christian Music" ~ BitterSweetLife

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Great "Christian Music"

Very good post up at The Search listing, humbly, the "best Christian albums of all time," with an appropriate disclaimer:

Yes, it is ridiculous that there is such a thing as “Christian music.” I am totally of the mind that the contemporary Christian music industry is something that never should have existed, and that most of its output has, in fact, been utterly forgettable. That said, however, I must admit that not ALL of so-called “Christian” music (and in my definition, it’s basically any music made with Christian spirituality in mind or in heart) is horrific bilge.

If I were to create such a list, I think it would feature the same artists (almost) but not necessarily the same albums. (Switch out Seven Swans for Chicago!) My one criticism is that if you include U2--not a strictly "Christian" band--than you have to, have to, have something by Bob Dylan; I'd suggest Slow Train Coming. But this effort gets a hearty appreciative nod.

If you're into this stuff, see also this older post on "popular" music for "theologians" (both terms used fairly loosely).

Now I need to write a music post.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

3 comments:

brad brisco said...

Well best "album" of all time in my book regardless of classification has to be U2's "Joshua Tree." Second, "Rattle and Hum." Then I would have to go with Lifehouse and "No Name Face" and then "Illuminate" by Crowder. Lastly, although a greatest hits I could listen to Collective Soul's "7 Year Itch" all day long.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about "Greatest" but the Christian albums I enjoy most (read, listen to the most):

OC Supertones - Loud and Clear

Mat Kearney - Nothing Left to Lose

Five Iron Frenzy - 2 Electric Boogaloo

Relient K - Mmhmm

And I do have "7" by Stryper in my collection...in case I feel like going old school.

RG said...

I think Christian music is richer in talent than it ever used to be.

I think the issue some folks have with Christian music is similar to that for why folks charge for Bibles.

Regi G

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife