The EP, by Matt Christenot ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, June 28, 2007

The EP, by Matt Christenot


I've been meaning to mention this album by Matt Christenot for months now, and never felt like I had time to sit down and write a review that would do it justice. I still don't feel like I have the time, but rather than risk never getting this post up, I'm going for it.

Matt and his wife Stephanie are currently planting a church in Lawrence, Kansas, and Lindsay and I had the opportunity to assist them for a few months. During that period, this CD got produced and Matt gave me a copy. Not having heard Matt lead worship at that point, I listened to the album to make sure it didn't suck, then I told him I'd gladly post a review.

I've never been a big fan of Christian "worship music" for various reasons--but Matt's CD definitely falls in that genre, and despite my bias, I found myself playing it repeatedly. Why?

For the following reasons:

Because Matt's lyrics transcend happy vibes. Because he has a vision for the church universal, and not just American Christianity, and writes songs that reflect that. Because the appeals of his songs are theological, that is, strong and biblical, not merely emotional. Great studio production doesn't hurt. If I was forced, at gunpoint, to describe Matt's voice in terms of other Christian singers, I'd mention Cliff Young of Caedmon's Call, and then say, "Actually, forget what I just said. Listen to the first song on the album yourself..."

Seriously. Listen to "This Generation," which is my favorite track, and if you like what you hear, grab the whole EP. You can preview or buy it at independentbands.com and on Matt Christenot - The EP. Also, see his myspace page.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

0 comments:

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife