Beyond Theology, Beyond Loss ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Beyond Theology, Beyond Loss

In Response To Bleeding—GOD

It’s been a little while since a Post of Substance has appeared here, and to be honest, I’ve been putting it off. Dread isn’t the right word. Maybe it’s a fear of seeming overly morbid, although that’s not quite it either. For whatever reason, I’ve been reluctant to write this. I knew that I would, just “not now.” Posts of Substance, like brave assertions, can’t be tossed off flippantly. But apparently all the cylinders on my “writer’s lock” are finally aligned; the small safe that held this post is swinging open.

Ever noticed how, in the throes of pain, what we want most is not often deep philosophy? As Job would have told you, Beware of offering theology to a wounded man. In my own struggles, when the heart seems to pump bile, I find myself reading mystery stories and writing compulsively about basketball.

This is not to say the truth becomes irrelevant. Rather, it is deeply relevant. It is the bones that support the drooping flesh, the timber that props up the sagging roof. Theology, like a sacred memory, is frequently mulled and wept over, but often at a level that defies light conversation.

When theology is all you have to stand on, the pavement you slump on, you may not care to discuss the brand of concrete and its method of reinforcement. Assuming your foundation is strong, grief is not best overcome by a structural assessment. The moment when theology (“God’s will is perfect”) is most valuable may also be the moment when it is most inscrutable. The truth Job needed to plumb was not that “Eventually, in this life or the next, God will reward the righteous,” but rather—GOD IS.

The weight of this fact, simple and heavy, descended on me recently. About three weeks ago, Lindsay and I suffered a loss in the family, and found ourselves immersed in sorrow. As the days went by, I tried to make sense of my own experience. I was willing to talk about our loss, but what was there to talk about? The pain was the central reality, the biggest thing. The value in exhaustively describing the pain was limited. The pain was to be borne.

Later would come the time for theology—later, and, simultaneously, below—below the present pain, and out of sight, not rehearsed like a mantra, but embraced like a man hugs his own bones. Later, perhaps, I would examine it again. Just now I simply needed a distraction. A distraction and God—God, the eternal and penultimate distraction; Christ pulls us away from “truth” that cannot be helped by further dissection, and he gives us Himself instead. This, I now think, has been a secret of Christians throughout the ages. While in agony, they could not, perhaps, read fiction and shoot hoops, but they were nonetheless “distracted.” Profoundly distracted.


At the point where further scrutiny is masochistic and self-defeating, Christ waits. He says, “I know what you feel, but look at me instead.” I do not doubt that he can hold our attention.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

4 comments:

tequilita said...

sometimes i think you are a soldier. your outlook is so unfailingly faithful. i am so thankful for your site. it is so hard to see His face through the veil of pain. i always thought i was a rock. i've been humbled in the last year or so. i haven't even had any real tragedy and my foundation was shaken. i hope you and lindsay are ok. i'm sorry for your loss.

AJ said...

I'll accept the soldier label with the caveat that soldiers are often banged up. :) (2 Corinthians 4:7, The Bible)

My thoughts often return to the basic truth that while my intentions and joys are fragile (...bitter...), Christ is unmoving (..sweet...). We all get hurt and knocked around, but Christ is invincibly the rock.

Thank you Kimberly.

Anonymous said...

My condolences AJ.
Sometimes infinity in the heart of the finite becomes overwhelming.
Like the feeling that is in your heart when you want to sing an unfinished song.
Unfinished because your heart cannot complete it.
I remember those times when God feels too big, so I pray for Him to make Himself smaller for me.
And I am reminded of Him in the small things, like sunsets and the breeze against my face.
And like the smell of coffee, and in the rhythm of a good bass line, and in buying groceries.
And once I am reminded of Him in the small things, the big things aren't so scary anymore.
And I sing the unfinished song my heart wrote.
Take care.

sheryl

AJ said...

"...Unfinished because your heart cannot complete it."

Thank you for the poetic thoughts, sheryl. The "unfinished song" makes me think of heaven, which until we arrive, will always be the song we want to sing, but can't - not yet.

I also am learning to see God's face through what he has made - coffee, a bass line, a sunset - and of course, the Bible. Immanence can teach us of, and lead us to, transcendence.

Christ is very near. He is very big. Both are comforting.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife