Jesus? Not MY Idol ~ BitterSweetLife

Saturday, August 21, 2004

Jesus? Not MY Idol

"Chasing Perfection" Revisited

As I wrote the “Chasing Perfection” post below, I realized that some people might read it and respond, What makes you think I dream about becoming like him? (Jesus Christ.) Here are a few clarifying thoughts.

First, consider that we experience Christward longing clearly only in moments of honesty. (And for some, perhaps not even then.) To recap:


It's a bittersweet thing to look at the mysterious person in my mind's eye, the person who, somehow, could only be known as "me." But a "me" that is seemingly beyond my ability to realize. It's into this self-conscious, reluctantly-articulated inadequacy that Christ reaches when He says, Be perfect. And when I am most honest, I must admit I am no stranger to this longing.

Truly honest moments are rare. And Jesus was no pop culture icon, no sex symbol, no billionaire, the usual subjects of aspiration and jealousy. But he was truly alive. And it’s for this reason that I suggest he is the one you long to be, even when you’re not fully aware of it. He embodies humanity fully realized, physicality, intellect and spirituality quickened by friendship with a living God.

I’m not trying to prove this categorically, only to open a door for investigation. If your curiosity or sense of truth is stirred, that’s enough.

Filed in:



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

0 comments:

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife