NCAA Tournament Bracket Contest w/ Appropriate Swag ~ BitterSweetLife

Monday, February 11, 2008

NCAA Tournament Bracket Contest w/ Appropriate Swag

Recently I was catching up with my friend, Will. Back in the day, when we were rock-hard search & rescue & rebuild men with loads and loads of character, I had to frequently belittle Will and occasionally overpower him in rounds of sudden-death snow wrestling, because of his devotion to UCLA basketball.

So when we were talking, Will suggested that I hold an NCAA bracket competition, and hand out some of the "free swag you get from blogging" as prizes. And I was like Hey, yeah, I'll give a copy of John Piper's latest book to the winner!

Problem is kind of self-evident, seeing as theologians who dig college hoops are in such short supply these days. So I'm asking for your suggestions. If such a bracket contest were to be held--open to any and all readers of this blog--what would be an appropriate prize? I'll kick things off with a couple suggestions:

1. An autographed Carmelo Anthony shoe. Which is already in my possession. Yeah, I guess that is kind of random.

2. However, The Game of My Life, with contributing author Bill Self, would probably do the trick. Off the top of my head, this book seems like the PERFECT prize for the bracket contest winner.

Can you do better?

Serious suggestions should probably be confined to books which have been published within the last year or so...there's always a chance I could get hold of a promotional copy if appropriate terms are met. As always, frivolous suggestions are also welcome. In fact, they're all I expect from some of you...



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd play for a chance to see photographic evidence of you wearing a Mizzou hoodie, if you didn't finish in the top five.

Cheers.

Will Hicks said...

If you're going to give away KU approved books to the winner, I'll throw in a copy of "They Call Me Coach" by John Wooden.

I've already got a copy, so I'll go buy myself another copy after I win.

Will Robison said...

At first, I was confused. I've never been a UCLA fan in my life. And I don't recall ever snow wrestling with anyone. Then I thought, perhaps this is a flash forward to things that have not yet occurred. And it made me wonder about the nature of this island that we're on. And then I wondered about the significance of such things as the letters in UCLA and the religious and philosophical implications of snow wrestling. But, in the end, I was left with only one disturbing notion - perhaps there is someone else out there with the first name Will.

Sometimes, I feel LOST.

AJ said...

I'd play for a chance to see photographic evidence of you wearing a Mizzou hoodie

I think we should limit the swag involved to teams that will actually be playing in the tourney. Hahaha.

If you're going to give away KU approved books to the winner, I'll throw in a copy of "They Call Me Coach" by John Wooden.

I've already got a copy, so I'll go buy myself another copy after I win.


The audacity. And right after that loss to Washington. You can see why snow wrestling became necessary.

At first, I was confused. I've never been a UCLA fan in my life. And I don't recall ever snow wrestling with anyone.

There are a couple things you can be thankful for... Nice comment. That's the first LOST/NCAA take I've ever seen, possibly the only one in existence. Well done.

I notice you're cleverly disguising your actual team, though. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm in.

I thought about this a few weeks ago, but there aren't too many blogs with sports stuff on them (and religion/Christian).

And I'm also finding it hard to find KU (Christian) fan blogs??? You know of any?

Tough loss at Austin. If we played the second half like we should have we win by 6-8.

Cheers.

Will Robison said...

Not even sure whether they'll make the tourney, but I've always been partial to Duke ever since I found out what they make their fans do to buy tickets. That's the kind of fanaticism you can't buy.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife