Extra Security to Stop Me ~ BitterSweetLife

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Extra Security to Stop Me

This afternoon I was standing in line at Price Chopper, waiting to buy the half & half that would supplement my 4 o’ clock espresso, when the cashier struck up a conversation.

“Smile, you’re on camera.”
“Huh?”
I said, ‘Smile, you’re on camera.’”

I had been watching a workman on a mechanical scaffold-ladder-machine (as they are technically called) installing something on the high ceiling.

“Oh, are you adding more security?”
“No, we’re just adding a newer camera.”
“Really.”
“Yes, you’d be surprised how many cameras there are in this store.”
“How many?”
“Over a hundred.”
“Woah.”
“Surprised?”
“Yeah, definitely. I won’t try and walk out with anything.”
“We catch people trying to steal stuff all the time. I guess they think it will be so easy.”
“Yeah…”
“A lot of people probably get away with it once, then get caught the second time.”
“I’ll bet they do.”
“Well, have a good evening.”
“You too!”

As I headed out to the car, I suddenly wondered why I had been the target of this conversation. It was friendly enough—probably just because I was watching the camera get installed. Then again…

Given my new, short haircut and the angry black tattoo I’d had inscribed on my forearm after KU lost to Bradley in the first round… The lady was warning me not to try anything shady. I know it.

I’ll just have to walk erectly, look employees in the eye, and never slur my speech at this Price Chopper. (Forget “Wassup.” It’s “How are you doing, ma’am,” from here on out.) This store is the only source of decent coffee within walking distance of my campus, so I’ll definitely be back.

We’ll just see whether they have enough security cameras to catch me next time.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man i steal stuff from there all the time but i guess since they are adding a new camera or two i should probably stop. Dang!

Dustin said...

You do come across as a shady individual, looking to steal. They can probably sense that you are a KU fan, and keep an eye on you no matter what.

Just kidding with you. Now, if you were a K-State fan, that might be true.

Andrew Simone said...

Man, I need to get myself some "Eluding_Security_Cameras" de.lic.ous tags for my blog. Between the tat and the tags, Ariel is WAY cooler than I am.

I wish I had his street cred.

AJ said...

"Man i steal stuff from there all the time but i guess since they are adding a new camera or two i should probably stop. Dang!"

And I sometimes wondered how you "bought" your Coke so fast. You're a smooth operator, Rob.

"You do come across as a shady individual, looking to steal. They can probably sense that you are a KU fan... Just kidding with you. Now, if you were a K-State fan, that might be true."

WOW! As far as I know, there aren't any K-State fans reading this blog. (They do tend to keep a low profile...) But that smack definitely deserves an audience! Nice, Dustin, nice. The Huggins Era at K-State has officially begun.

"Man, I need to get myself some "Eluding_Security_Cameras" de.lic.ous tags for my blog. Between the tat and the tags, Ariel is WAY cooler than I am..."

Heh heh. Really, I'm at a loss for words. Keep on trying, man. ;)

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the uncomfortable situation of being innocent and suspected at the same time--fun to play with but hard to actually resolve. I mean, what do you say? I remember buying some rock candy at the YMCA of the Rockies gift store, leaving it behind in the store, and running back in to grab it. An elderly cashier came outside and stared after me as I dashed away. But what could I say? I ran on. Awkward....

Dannyvan

ninjapoodles said...

Yeah, the babyface expression from the picture in the previous post fools no one. You're shifty.

Hee.

AJ said...

Danny, it's a good thing you kept running. The only thing worse than being suspected of a crime you didn't commmit is being apprehended for it. Far better to look guilty and get away...

Belinda, if any doubt remained, it is now removed. Lindsay is clearly paying you for your comments. Everything you say is now suspect. ;)

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife