Wooden Ocean ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Wooden Ocean



It is with a certain grim delight that I say that biological evolution is a dilapidated theory twined from chains of malformed preconceptions which rely, ultimately, on blind faith—or, if you prefer, dogged bias.*


Spiritual evolution, however, I can buy. The preconceptions required are drastically different; rather than defying entropy to arrive at a utopia, one looks back to a paradise that spiritual thermodynamics overruled. Spiritual evolution began in a garden with a backwards lurch, and after thousands of years, our souls have not improved.

I’m going the long way around to say that we are not what we once were.

In Colorado, as Lindsay and I drove from hike to hike, there was a brand of road sign, completely foreign to the Midwest, which gave me repeated satisfaction:





When I read these signs I felt like a fish, flopping on the brink of a wooded ocean. Or a bird about to launch itself into a green sky. At trailheads there was the sensation of pushing our way past pedestrian barriers and hurrying onto a more vital roadway. Certainly we were intended to live in creation in ways that we have never been able to retrieve.


One feels an urge to dive into the wilderness, immerse oneself—and a puzzling desire to infiltrate nature, to explore behind the scenes. Walking behind a waterfall is a cheap replacement for, say, walking behind the morning or plaiting trees and hills to form a forest.

I’m speaking fantastically, but I think there was a piece of us that loved to enter and mold nature in ways we can’t now—and in reality, we still want this.

What does one conclude from this? Certainly not that “technology is evil,” which would be a self-defeating argument for a blogger. At times, though, I suspect that technology is merely a substitute for the creation-acumen we actually crave.


* I won’t go into my full line of reasoning here, since it’s not actually the point of this post, but suffice to say that it’s likely different than you might assume. However, it is hard to be too critical of so-called “creationist bigots” when the materialist bigots work so hard to be worthy of the title. If anyone is interested, I’ll do what I can by way of explanation at a later date.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want to hear your thoughts on evolution! please please please!

rusty said...

Searching ....searching...we are all Gautam Buddha's in the makin....sooner or later confronted with the same set of spiritual questionmarks.....

AJ said...

"we are all Gautam Buddha's in the makin...confronted with the same set of spiritual questionmarks"

I'll have to take exception to that. Seeing as how Buddha concluded that life is dukkha, one must acknowledge that there are many additional ending places.

Buddha may have started in the same place I did, but he sure punctuates his sentences differently. And incidentally, I have no problem with spiritual periods.

Oneway the Herald said...

First off, I love the picture you used for this post, man. It's as if the tree limb is welcoming the viewer to a resplendent vantage.

I have to also let you know that I went with the Nikon D50. I had some rudimentary fun with it over my honeymoon; I look forward to learning more. Thanks for your camera advice.

This post was cash money. I'm sure being created in the Imago Dei makes us pine for "creaton-acumen".

"spiritual periods"

Brilliant. The shame, if any, is that your bright response may be taking the shine away from the original post.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife