To A Life More Examined ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, June 11, 2009

To A Life More Examined

Over the last several years, I developed a habit of extracting a few favorite quotes from every (quotable) book I read. Some books don't contain a single quotable line...and some of those make best seller lists.

I sorted the quotes topically and collected them in a searchable Word document, which steadily grew until it contained thousands of incisive, inspiring pieces of wordsmithery.

When a half-forgotten phrase came to mind this morning, I opened my Quotes document to track it down, and realized I haven't made any new entries for months. Life has been a whirlwind lately, and some healthy habits of thought and reflection have fallen by the wayside.

I need to get 'em back. So here I am, documenting my intention to slow down and enjoy the benefits of an examined life, with the help of the Holy Ghost. I leave you with a bit from a great book I discovered a couple years ago, Telford Work's volume on prayer. This one definitely pertains to Kansas City church planting:

A minuscule seed in a field, a pinch of yeast, a treasure chest in a field, one pearl, a net in the sea—none of these impresses except by its smallness. Yet each is powerful—in some cases more powerful than the thing it inhabits… As a little signature unleashes vast executive power and a tiny key opens enormous gates, so symbolic actions here lead to momentous actions elsewhere. - Telford Work, Ain’t Too Proud to Beg



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

1 comments:

Angie M. said...

I thought I was the only one who did that. I have a folder filled with quotations that I've collected through the years from books I've read, songs I've heard, and the odd word, phrase, and quotation I've come across. My most recent noted one was this:

"There is a curious thing that happens with the passage of time: a calcification of character. See, if the light hits Brian’s face the right way, I can still see the pale blue hue of his eyes that has always made me think of an island ocean I had yet to swim in. Beneath the fine lines of his smile, there is the cleft of his chin–-the first feature I looked for in the faces of my newborn children. There is his resolve, his quiet will, and a steady peace with himself that I have always wished would rub off on me. These are the base elements that made me fall in love with my husband; if there are times I do not recognize him now, maybe this isn’t a drawback. Change isn’t always for the worst; the shell that forms around a piece of sand looks to some people like an irritation, and to others, like a pearl." My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult

I collected many quotes from that book. It's an excellent read. And I noticed that they recently made a movie of it. For some reason, I fear the movie won't be as good as the book, but then again it rarely is.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife