Coffee Bean Roasting Dream on Hold for Now ~ BitterSweetLife

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Coffee Bean Roasting Dream on Hold for Now

Coffee geek that I am, I grind my beans with a Mazzer Super Jolly (you see 'em coffeeshops), brew my coffee with the ingenious Aeropress, and pull my espresso with a very serviceable Solis SL-70. And since I'm looking for ways to enhance my coffee resume still more, I've played with the idea of roasting my own beans...you know, the green ones you buy online in microbatches from places like Guatamala, Jamaica, Indonesia, etc.

Well, looks like the roasting plan will be put on hold for awhile...at least until we acquire a well-ventilated garage/basement. I just came across this very detailed piece on The (New) Economics of Home Coffee Roasting.

And, as you might already suspect, the number one reason to buy a home roaster is simply to experiment with it--create your own roasts and blends and try not to burn your home down in the process. Fun, but I'll have to come up with a creative way to justify that purchase.

The Coffee Bean Roasting Dream has not been crushed...but it has been deferred for the time being, which means at least until next week.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Guess what? You can actually roast coffee beans in a popcorn popper! My friend Josh who knows everything there is to know about coffee roasts his own and that's how he does it!

Will Robison said...

Surely Wal-Mart has some sort of coffee bean roaster from China for $19.95... ;)

Adam L said...

Thanks for the tip on the Areopress (via Facebook)! Fantastic! I just got it for my birthday! Guess I'm going to have to wait a while for the Mazzer Super Jolly though... $800! Jeez! lol

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife