The Best Movies of 2007 ~ BitterSweetLife

Saturday, January 05, 2008

The Best Movies of 2007

Thriftiness can take a toll on your movie reviews. Since I can buy a couple books for what it costs to see a movie with Lindsay, we don't see a lot of films while they're in the theater. Throw Aidan and Asher into the mix, and seeing current films gets really complicated.

I thought about posting "The Best DVDs of 2007," but that seemed kind of anti-climactic. So instead, I refer you to some recommendations from several critics who have the discretionary income and press passes necessary to see all of 2007's movies while it's still 2007. Check 'em:

2007 at the Movies from The American Culture (an eclectic, slightly offbeat list)
2007: Top Ten Movies from Copious Notes (a well-argued, balanced list)
Top Ten Movies of 2007 from The Search (an artsy list...that surprisingly includes King Kong)

Culling from these lists and others, some 2007 movies I still want to see are:

  1. No Country for Old Men
  2. The Bourne Ultimatum
  3. Into the Wild
  4. I'm Not Here
  5. Charlie Wilson's War
  6. Beowulf
  7. The Golden Compass
I shuffled my list to reflect my expectations--so I have high hopes (in a grim, bloody, existential way) for No Country for Old Men, and fairly low expectations for the adaptation of Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass. And yes, I am looking forward to the third Bourne film in a big way as well...maybe the Bourne series aren't high drama, but they highlight the heady suspense-action genre in my book. What 2007 films do you still need to see?

::

On a related but less happy note, this seems like an appropriate time to observe a moment of silence for Luther at the Movies, a great film blog that recently retired. Farewell, O bombastic agent of movie reform. You will be missed.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

9 comments:

Matt Andrews said...

Unfortunately, I don't live in a city big enough to hold some of the movies I really wanted to see for more than a week. I still need to see:
1. Across the Universe
2. Lars and the Real Girl
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Into the Wild
5. I'm Not Here
6. The Golden Compass
7. Grace is Gone
8. The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford
9. Lake of Fire

Tom said...

Great list. Definitely want to see No Country for Old Men...
Don't know if you're a foreign film fan, but The Diving Bell and the Butterfly as well as My Beat Friend were also very good.

And The Golden Compass? Not so good.

Tom said...

My "Best" Friend, that is... opps.

Anonymous said...

No Country . . . (We were going last night, but got distracted and bought a lawn tractor instead.)

Kite Runner

Atonement

Assassination of Jesse James (Yes, that's the Missouri DNA calling.)

Off topic: I learned today that my German nephew's English teacher taught for two years at gasp KU. He learned that when he wore a MIZZOU hoodie to his Gymnasium in Regensburg, Germany.

Oy.

AJ said...

No Country . . . (We were going last night, but got distracted and bought a lawn tractor instead.)

That comment is a story in itself...

I've heard some good things about the Jesse James movie as well - I just hate to see a film where the ending is never in doubt.

Oh yeah, and Atonement. I need to see that one too.

Matt, I feel your pain, but for different reasons. One word: Redbox.

Tom, if you read this, I'd like to hear your thoughts on why The Golden Compass (the movie) was underwhelming.

I can't believe no one else is salivating over the Bourne movie.

AJ said...

I learned today that my German nephew's English teacher taught for two years at gasp KU...

Wow, talk about providential connections. Maybe there is hope that your nephew will forsake the dark side.

Will Robison said...

I have Bourne on my list as well. When I saw it on DVD sale, I suddenly realized that it probably wasn't in the theaters anymore... It's been that kind of year.

By the way, Across the Universe was really great in a trippy kind of way. Not a great movie, per se, but one that will stick with you like a good slice of Chocolate Cake for a really long time.

Tom said...

The Golden Compass fails, for me, on a few different levels.

1. As an action movie: In order for you to feel the danger that the hero must face, the audience has to identify with him or her. The most compelling character in this film was the bear.

2. As a philosophical movie (which is why I showed up): The director dumbed it down too much; if the Wachowski Bros. can teach us about Cartesian skepticism, then this director shouldn't have skimped on treating the audience as first graders.

Just some thoughts from an avid film goer.... cheers.

AJ said...

I'm glad I don't have to stand by myself in the Bourne camp. Thanks, Will. And I appreciate some chocolate cake now and then.

Tom, your first comment about The Golden Compass reflects what I found to be the central flaw of the book: a lack of warmth in the characters. Your second observation is eye-opening too. Thanks for the instant review.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife