Preach the Word (Book Review) ~ BitterSweetLife

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Preach the Word (Book Review)

Because I don't have religious profiles of you readers (my supercomputer is still working on that) I'm not sure what chunk of you this review will pertain to. Probably a minority. But I'm going out on a limb to mention Preach the Word regardless, because it's worthy of...well, mention.

Preach the Word is a collection of essays on the topic of expository preaching--preaching that aims to "expound," i.e., directly explain, biblical texts--from over a dozen contributors. Some of the names I recognized were J.I Packer, Don Carson, Wayne Grudem and John MacArthur, but I felt that every author pulled his weight--and in fact, several writers who were new to me wrote my favorite chapters.

The book is theologically conservative (if a book repeatedly quotes the Puritans, it qualifies), and makes the case that expository preaching is the best way forward for preachers, because it allows the Bible to set our agenda and exposes people to the full breadth of God's revelation. (I tend to agree, while appreciating the point one writer makes: Even "topical" messages can be delivered in a way that is faithful to the texts being used.)

If you move in Christian ministry circles, the expository perspective is not new to you--but the collection of voices in Preach the Word make the position come alive in ways that a single author cannot. Because the writers focused on different aspects of theology and methodology, they are rarely redundant. Instead, they compliment each other, and the reader benefits from hearing a diverse group of personalities weighing in, which is a good way to avoid the mistake of merely emulating one favorite guy and trying to duplicate his approach with a checklist.

This book was a refreshing read, both theologically reflective and nitty gritty, with suggestions and anecdotes. I read a chapter each night before I went to bed...does that make me a theology geek? My own "Expository Preaching" class last semester would have benefited immensely from using Preach the Word as a textbook.

Highly recommended for anyone who pastors, speaks publicly from the Bible, or wonders about what exactly a preacher is supposed to accomplish. I only wish this book had a wider audience. Strong A.

Preach the Word now enjoys the honor of being the only book explicitly about preaching on the Master Book List.



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking as the schmo in the back row of the congregation, I prefer expository preaching. I want to be challenged to think about specific texts within the Bible.

Cheers.

John B. said...

Apparently, I'm missing something here, seeing as I was under the impression that all preaching on the Bible was "expository" by its very nature. If it's appropriate (and possible) to do so in comments, would you mind lining out a taxonomy of preaching?

AJ said...

Randall, I applaud your back-row savvy.

And Charles...nice. I don't have much to add to your comments re: preaching taxonomy.

I'd merely point out that people sometimes create a false dichotomy between "expository" and "topical"--when in fact, topical sermons can be soundly expository if the right Bible passages are chosen.

There are some other misconceptions floating around as well...for example, that expository preaching always needs to be heavily didactic and analytical (5 propositions, 12-pt outlines, etc.). But the best expositors unpack the Bible with brilliant anecdotes and lots of metaphor and imagination...and this can be done in a conversational way--you don't have to have protruding neck veins to preach.

John B. said...

Charles and Ariel, many thanks. So, then: Jonathan Edwards' "Sinners in the Hand of an Angry God" would be an example of expository preaching (of the "5 propositions, 12-pt. outlines" sort), no?

Charles Churchill said...

I'd merely point out that people sometimes create a false dichotomy between "expository" and "topical"--when in fact, topical sermons can be soundly expository if the right Bible passages are chosen.

Agree 100%. I was fumblingly trying to make that point. To my mind, any sermon that isn't expository (that doesn't focus on conveying God's Word/opinion/take to the listener) shouldn't be preached from the pulpit. Calling a sermon topical as if that removes the requirement of exposition is a cheat...

Re: the many ways of creative exposition. I agree with that as well as I'm pretty sure I know exactly what you mean. I'm just too familiar with hearing anecdotes from the pulpit that I've deleted as email forwards and listening to cute little analogies that start out with, "the family of God is much like an earthly family" and end with "and God is like Grandpa half sleeping in the rocking chair in the corner, half watching over everyone, and only intervening when a fight breaks out or some child needs a hug." It just gives me the willies thinking about it. But like I said, I know what you mean and agree readily.

Thanks for the post. I might have to check this one out.

AJ said...

So, then: Jonathan Edwards' "Sinners in the Hand of an Angry God" would be an example of expository preaching (of the "5 propositions, 12-pt. outlines" sort), no?

Yes, I'd have to agree. Those preacher in the Puritan mold went in for very involved outlines, but there's a certain brilliance...

"the family of God is much like an earthly family" and end with "and God is like Grandpa half sleeping in the rocking chair in the corner, half watching over everyone, and only intervening when a fight breaks out or some child needs a hug."

Ha ha. I hate those forward-style illustrations as well. Rule of thumb: if you get your anecdotes from Yahoo...

Good metaphors take careful work and a disciplined imagination.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife