Infantile Remarks and Spiritual Epiphany ~ BitterSweetLife

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Infantile Remarks and Spiritual Epiphany



We wanted to post this picture, indicating that we’ve enjoyed a merry Christmas and hope that you did too. However, Lindsay wouldn’t want me to put it up without some commentary. So it’s left for me to announce to the blogging world that Lindsay and I are expecting our first child! Yes!

The due date is April 16, which could make it an Easter baby. And the April timeframe also puts the ETA after March Madness, which is really fortunate, because it might be hard for Lindsay to tough it out in the delivery room by herself…

So now you’re in on our big (well, getting bigger) secret.

::

Posting may be a little thin for the next several days because I’ve been given my annual chance to present a message at our church. I’ll be speaking New Year’s Day on the subject of Epiphany—a topic that relates to some things that I think about and write about pretty frequently (i.e. “Clues”).

What is epiphany? I’m thinking of describing it this way: Epiphany is something we constantly feel, if not in its presence then in its absence. It is something we long to experience—a glimpse of the Rescuer who came and lived on earth, and still lives today, but may not be very visible in this present moment.

Epiphany is a glimpse of God.
Epiphany hinges on Christ’s presence on earth.
Epiphany only comes to children

No doubt I’ll be writing some more on this. Feel free to give your own take on the mysterious topic of spiritual epiphany in a comment. Who knows, maybe you'll get cited in my message. :)



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

10 comments:

Andy said...

Congrats to you both, Pops! It is the greatest gift for parents - the birth of a child.

Carmen said...

Congratulations! Blessings! Peace! Joy!

Anonymous said...

When I first become a Dad everyone would told me that my life would never be the same again. Of course, I knew that it would change but I didn't realize just how much parenthood changed my life. My whole perspective on sleep, time, importance, faith - everything changes. Most of the change is Good, some is Great and the rest is just different from the past. It's a fantastic journey, Ariel, and my heartfelt congratulations go out to you and your wife from this fellow Kanasacitian.

ninjapoodles said...

HUGE congratulations! What a fortunate child, is all I can say. Oh, and, um...ha HA, about basketball trumping birth. ha.

John B. said...

I go away for a week and come back to find you're pregnant. You young people. Sincerest, if belated, congratulations. Everyone misunderstands me when I say this, but I'll say it anyway: may you and Lindsay have a boring pregnancy.

I must echo Bryan's comments above; when my then-wife and I were expecting our first, a colleague of mine told me at least two different times (most likely more, knowing him), "That baby will change your life in ways you can't even imagine." So why tell me that, then? What good does it do to tell me that? But he was literally right: I could never have anticipated all that changed when G. was born, and all that has continued to change in the 11 years since she and her sister were born.

And I think that that--the complete, utter, life-transforming suddenness of it--is the essence of epiphany for me. You can't prepare for it--it wouldn't be revelatory if you could. All you can do is acknowledge it by responding, a la Saul's transformation into Paul on that road to Damascus.

Anonymous said...

Wow...congratulations!! I'm not sure how you managed to keep quiet about that on your blog for so long. I think I'd be shouting it from the rooftops! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Congrats! The middle son was an April baby and I remember my wife commenting during the tournament that it was fortunate he was to be born after, so as not to interfere with my NCAA pool.

Cheers.

Paula said...

Congrats!!! Best wishes to the three of you. Unless it's twins, of course, then to the four...

Molly said...

i second Camille's post, and everyone, Congrats! There is so little to say except that. It is so extraordinary alone!

Andrew Simone said...

Congrats! That is wonderful.

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife