Oh, For A Muse Of Fire ~ BitterSweetLife

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Oh, For A Muse Of Fire


If only it were that simple.

Inspired Thoughts on Cue-Writing

Maybe you've come across those online writing cues posted on sites like Orcut and LiveJournal. (To see a page with "writing prompts" (cues), click here.) The idea, as I take it, is that all the authorial mind waits upon is some external catalyst to release its pent up ingenuity.

I have mixed feelings about such ploys. Admittedly, the stream-of-consciousness epistles that may result can be somewhat enjoyable to write...but they can also be somewhat painful, or, worse, ridiculous to read. After all, why is a "new" writing cue superior to an old idea? Sometimes it seems all a new cue generates are new hang-ups with structure, rough new content, and newly-made (hasty) errors of syntax. Not to mention that a "good" cue doesn't always generate good writing.

Consider the seemingly auspicious cue, "Inspiration struck me-." I recently attempted to cue-write with this phrase. Here are several of my "possible outcomes."

First, an artsy attempt:

Inspiration struck me like a hit and run driver.
From the ground I watched him race away.
When I screamed he just drove faster
And I never saw his face.

Then a simplified approach to the same theme:

Inspiration struck me, but not hard enough.
I soon recovered and wrote this poem.

But it got worse.

Inspiration struck me
and I struck her right back,
knocking the blighter* on her face.
I guess that explains a lot.

Finally ending on this note of introspection:

Inspiration struck me and then stood over me, laughing.
It took me weeks to recover from the humiliation.

Who knows, there could be a place for cue writing in the author's bag of tricks. Until I figure it out, at least I can cue-write about cue-writing, and keep myself amused. OK, I'm out.

This word was used in association with The Vocabulary Reclamation Project.
*Blighter. Another derogatory term which has British connotations for me. Some would suggest the word is euphemistic, a substitute for more unpleasant insults. Perhaps, but if so, they would probably not be insults we'd use in America. For us, similar terms are: jerk, brat, unsavory character...

Filed in:



Like what you read? Don't forget to bookmark this post or subscribe to the feed.

0 comments:

 

Culture. Photos. Life's nagging questions. - BitterSweetLife